Lifting soon but have a few questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifting soon but have a few questions.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Lifting soon but have a few questions.

Ok so next weekend I will finally be purchasing my lift for my 97 v8 TSi. I have decided on the rough country 4" long arm kit. It seems pretty complete and I figure if I'm gonna do this I'm gonna do it right the first time an get long arms. But I already own a set of 33x12.5r15 geolander m/t mounted on procomp rock crawlers. My question is how much trimming will I need to do? I already have my bumper cover removed so it won't rub that. Also what are everyone thoughts on this particular kit?

MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

And I'm not sure the back spacing on those rims but I do have a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

what's your backspacing? at 4" lift 33's should have minimal if any rub on the bumper, question is backspacing and whether or not they'll rub at full lock on your UCA's. If you haven't already pound or grind that pinch seam in the front wheel wells that's sticking out or it will destroy your tires when you flex.

Personally, I'd pay for the RE or IRO over the RC kit, better quality is the general consensus around here. If you do go with the RC kit (please don't lol) trash their track bar and order a jks, re, or iro. Don't use anything close to a "drop bracket" or "bracket mount" for your track bar or a t-case drop. Get and adjustable or proper length because those are trash. You'll need extended brake lines anything above 3.5 and be prepared to replace a ton of steering and other parts. You have a 97 so i'd assume you have the d44a rear axle, which will be fine for 33's. If your front drive shaft is a cv joint not the u-joint you should seriously search around here on switching that.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

I'm not sure my back spacing which is why I bought spacers. But I'm torn between this lift and the IRO 4.5 inch lift which isn't long arm. The only thing is it dosnt come with an adjustable track bar. And what steering parts are we talking? Also if I were to purchase the IRO lift what else would I need with it?
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoosecakes View Post
I'm not sure my back spacing which is why I bought spacers. But I'm torn between this lift and the IRO 4.5 inch lift which isn't long arm. The only thing is it dosnt come with an adjustable track bar. And what steering parts are we talking? Also if I were to purchase the IRO lift what else would I need with it?
I would go RC long arm over IRO short arm if I had to choose between those two.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Should I stick with the track bar it comes with or replace it with an adjustable from another company like he said up there. Just trying to make sure I get it done right the first time so I'm not going back later fixing a whole bunch stuff
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Should I stick with the track bar it comes with or replace it with an adjustable from another company like he said up there. Just trying to make sure I get it done right the first time so I'm not going back later fixing a whole bunch stuff
Does it come with the track bar or can you tell them you don't want it? It looks like theirs is adjustable too. Just stay away from TB brackets.

IRO's double sheer TB is pretty nice. I have that one.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Does it come with the track bar or can you tell them you don't want it? It looks like theirs is adjustable too. Just stay away from TB brackets.

IRO's double sheer TB is pretty nice. I have that one.
Alright, I'm not doing any extreme rock crawling or anything the most my jeep will see is some trails and a little bit of mud since I do DD it. But I've heard good things about the IRO double sheer so maybe ill order that separately if I can find a way to get the RC kit without the bar or drop bracket
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

add track bars for sure. even the IRO ones and giv'r

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
i'd go IRO and add long arms over RC long arm.

Guessing he's doing the 599 RC kit, he'll have to buy new Track bars anyways, so let's say he pays 250 for 2 track bars (a good deal) now he's up to 750 before shipping.

He pays 675 for the IRO kit, adds a full set of CA's all around it's an extra 500 he pays 1100 give or take before shipping.

Or he does a 4.5 short arm kit from RE and pays around 1200 (average price according to what people on here have paid for it) and adds nothing.

It's def more money, I rather go with it this way.

Quote:
well throw on the wheels, if it rubs, add spacers, if not don't add them and sell the spacers

the vehicle is 15 years old. Anything and everything that could be wrong, well could be wrong. Only way to find out is to get under there, look for loose or ovaled out holes, see if you get DW when you get the lift on.

I say email kolak (vendor for RE, IRO and others) and see what kind of a deal and advice he gives you.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Im quite pleased with my RC longarm kit. The front track bar is garbage in my opinion. I got an IRO front. I didnt like the drop bracket for the rear so I got an adjustable one from RE. Check my build there are some pics and a little write up on what I encountered with that lift. RC **** for the most part isnt the best quality but their LA kit is quality. 8 adj. arms, DOM tubing, decent price. Unless they have actually used RC's LA kit, dont let people discourage you from this lift. A lot of people seem to not like RC and will advise against it. I dont care for their lower end products but again, am pleased with the cost/quality of THIS particular lift-i believe they did a good job.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Thread the bolts into your flag nuts they give you BEFORE you put them into the frame rail to tighten them. I didnt and the threads are really tight and break off the "flags" If you thread them first it'll save you some headache

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.