Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lifting Options

568 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Timo_90xj 
#1 ·
Looking for the best 2-4 inch lift, preferably suspension, for my 5.2. And personal experiences? Price isn't a concern, I just need reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Nah, you want a body lift . . .

2-4 inches is a HUGE range, a 2" lift is a pretty simple thing, a 4" is a much bigger problem.

What tires do you want to run? What do you want to do with it? Why don't they have google where you live?

#5 ·
So with 33's a big caveat is that you really need to regear or it is going to really suck to drive.

Traditional wisdom says that you want 4.5" for 33's, that's to run without a lot of trimming. You can run 33's on less lift if you're willing to trim.

To do 4.5" right you want all 8 adjustable control arms, both track bars should be adjustable, and the front should be double shear. Good shocks are also a must.

I would PM Kolak (http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Kolak) who is a vendor for a bunch of the lift manufacturers, he can help you piece together a setup that will really perform great.

#10 ·
Yeah, 4.88's will kick *** on the trail with 33's. As long as you don't see a lot of highway.

#12 ·
It's just going to be spinning higher RPM than stock, or you might find yourself sticking below the speed limit more often.

You can play with the numbers for yourself here: http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm

As an example, for 33" tires, in OD on your jeep (0.69:1), your rpm at 70mph is 2399, which isn't that bad. Stock for you jeep is right at 2k. Kicking down into third if you were passing somebody would be 3478 RPM, which is still plenty of engine left.

So you'll see decreased MPG on the highway, but you'll have fun doing it, which is generally the point of a jeep.

#13 ·
Check out the short and long arm lifts over at ironrockoffroad.com - they have some very high quality setups. I'm an IRO dealer and would be happy to assist with a lift and answer any questions you may have. You can PM me here on the forum or email me at kolak@aol.com

I also carry Rubicon Express, JKS, Clayton Offroad, Bilstein etc so we will be able to put together a very nice setup for your ZJ!

#14 ·
I second Kolak/IRO, I have the IRO 5.5" critical path kit and love it.
It keeps the cost down over having a rear long arm setup and got me into my 33's easy. You will want a regear. Im still on 3.73 and its annoying.

#15 ·
IMO, go with a long arm setup at least in the front for 4.5" of lift. Preferrably a full long arm kit front & rear - or plenty of axle bracket modifications to level the short arms.
You want the CAs as horizontal as possible, and even though you can make the ride quality OK with good shocks & 8 adjustable control arms @ 4.5" of lift, the suspension geometry will be wacky.

4.88s on 33s is a very good trail setup, and as long as you don't need to go faster than around 75mph on the freeway you're fine. 4.88s and 33s will put you to around 2550rpms @75mph, or ~2250rpms @65mph.
Probably slightly worse MPG, but nothing more.
Higher RPMs will actually help your tranny and engine run cooler and do less work.
Your front LP D30 axle will hate the 4.88s on the trails, expect seeing R&P and/or axle shaft/ u-joint damage when wheeling :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.