Liftgate Window Won't Unlock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Liftgate Window Won't Unlock

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
philstricker
1998 ZJ 

Liftgate Window Won't Unlock

Liftgate locks and unlocks no problem. Problem is that the window in the liftgate will not unlock. I removed the back panel and found out that I can manually unlock the window by pressing down on the long gold piece (sorry I don't know the proper name for it, circled in picture). I checked the wire connections and nothing is loose.

I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out the next steps. How do I figure out why pressing the release button doesn't trigger this gold piece to move down and unlock the window. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I tried WD-40 just for kicks, didn't fix anything.

photo-1.jpg  
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
philstricker
1998 ZJ 

I also checked the fuses and they are all fine so that's not the problem.
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Watch the lift gate glass solenoid (the thing you pushed on to unlock the glass) when you hit the unlock button if it doesnt move then the solenoid needs to be replaced or your wiring is shorted or broken somewhere. Most likely the solenoid (hopefully).
98GCLimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
philstricker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
Watch the lift gate glass solenoid (the thing you pushed on to unlock the glass) when you hit the unlock button if it doesnt move then the solenoid needs to be replaced or your wiring is shorted or broken somewhere. Most likely the solenoid (hopefully).
Thanks for the reply.

I disconnected the solenoid wiring and used a multimeter to test the continuity and got a reading. Didn't get a reading on the rest of the wire (the part the solenoid plugs in to. Worried that it's probably faulty wiring.

Any advice on what wiring I should look at maybe buying?
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
philstricker
1998 ZJ 

Just found another thread with same problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...-latch-533027/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.