Liftgate lock problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Liftgate lock problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
XJWJfan

Liftgate lock problem

Hey all. I have a 99 WJ. The liftgate won't open and the glass won't either. Acts like it's not unlocking. I used the emergency lever on the inside and got it open to take off the cover so I could see if its actuating and it isn't. I'm pretty sure it's got power because when you try to unlock it you can hear a slight click like it's trying to unlock but isn't. Do I need to replace it? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Mike Harris

XJWJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
guango88
Air Trans

1996 ZJ 

Have you tried using some WD-40 in the lock asembly?
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guango88
Have you tried using some WD-40 in the lock asembly?

WD-40 is a penetrating oil, and not a lubricant. Use the WD-40 to get the parts moving again, then lubricate it with 3-In-One Oil (electric motor oil).

AVS makes better penetrating oil than WD-40. It smells bad but works better.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
MtnbikerWJ

You may want to take the cover off, there connecting rod between the motor and the latch, see if the came loose or broke. If its loose hook it back up if its broke your looking at a $70 part because its all one piece so youll be buying the whole motor and latch assembly. heres a pic
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
XJWJfan

THanks for the pic! I'll check it out better.

Mike
Unread 11-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
XJWJfan

[QUOTE=mtnbiker4791]You may want to take the cover off, there connecting rod between the motor and the latch, see if the came loose or broke. If its loose hook it back up if its broke your looking at a $70 part because its all one piece so youll be buying the whole motor and latch assembly. heres a pic

Where did you get the part for $70? I called my dealer and its $229! That's a little more , ok, a LOT more than I wanted to spend.

Mike
Unread 11-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
MtnbikerWJ

I got it off WJJeeps.com. The part # is 5018479AB Lock actuator. On an online Mopar parts dealer http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ its a $60.35 part. Were you able to look at it closer and see whats wrong with it? using the key fob while watching to see what happens when you try to lock and unlock it.

They might have qouted you a price for the whole lock assembly. Which still by www.chryslerpartsdirect.com prices is $155 part, MSRP is $189 not $229.
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
XJWJfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker4791
I got it off WJJeeps.com. The part # is 5018479AB Lock actuator. On an online Mopar parts dealer http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ its a $60.35 part. Were you able to look at it closer and see whats wrong with it? using the key fob while watching to see what happens when you try to lock and unlock it.

They might have qouted you a price for the whole lock assembly. Which still by www.chryslerpartsdirect.com prices is $155 part, MSRP is $189 not $229.
I actuated it with the key fob and it's making a slight clicking noise so it's trying to do something but isn't. All the linkage is ok, nothing binding, and there is power to the motor. So, that's the only thing left. Thanks for the link, $60 is a lot more affordable. Now I can order it and the wife can go grocery shopping again!
Unread 12-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
XJWJfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker4791

Thanks for the link info! Got the actuator for $60.35 put it in and it fixed it! Wife is happy now. I'm also ordering the rear door weatherstripping from them for $25 as opposed to $95 from the dealership! For some reason mine has shrunk.

Mike
Unread 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Great thread, My rear lock actuator is making a really bad noise and I was going to try and order a new one sometime this week, you guys just saved me a whole lot of search time and money. Thanks!

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
XJWJfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
Great thread, My rear lock actuator is making a really bad noise and I was going to try and order a new one sometime this week, you guys just saved me a whole lot of search time and money. Thanks!
It's a great site! It's definitely where I'll check for chrysler parts first!

Mike
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #12
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZed-J
WD-40 is a penetrating oil, and not a lubricant.
WD-40 is not a penetrant; it is a lubricant (check out www.wd40.com). It sucks as a lubricant though and will gum up the works (especially their new non-flammable formula). I won't allow that crap in my shop!
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.