liftgate help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > liftgate help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
RJZJ
1993 ZJ 

liftgate help

I was at the grocery store opened the hatch to put the groceries in and went to shut the liftgate and it would not shut. ok so I have searched and found several threads about the liftgate not opening, I have the opposite problem the latch on my is stuck closed and will not let the liftgate close. I removed the trim panel inside and everything looked ok tried to adjust the latch didnt help. So now I have removed the latch and tried to manualy pry the latch open and no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

RJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
RJZJ
1993 ZJ 

nobody?
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

I'm guessing the latch siezed. May be able to put it in a vice and pry/hammer it open. At which point I'd grease it heavily. Or just find a latch. I tried looking on the internet for you but came up empty. Try craigslist.
congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Happen to me on my previous jeep zj that was a 97. I couldn't do anything at all to fix it so i bought a new one and installed it. Never had the problem again.
97 ZJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
RJZJ
1993 ZJ 

how much did your new one cost? I have called jy around here and nobody has one the dealer told me it would be about $160
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Use degreaser and hot water to remove all the old, hard grease. If it doesn't free up you need to replace it, it's either broken or bent from prying. If it does free up you need to re-lubricate and be aware it may malfunction again.

Full service junkyards often don't like selling latches, collision repair shops like buying panels with that stuff intact. Try a self service yard. Or somebody parting out on craigslist. Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

have you tried hooking it back up and unlocking/locking the jeep? I got mine to do that while it was up in the air fixing the shocks, and had the same thing, where it was stuck and i couldn't shut it. So i just opened the drivers door and flipped the lock switch a bunch and walah, i could close it again.
errorcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
RJZJ
1993 ZJ 

yea i tried cleaning, and regreasing, locking-unlocking and nothing so im just gonna get a new one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.