Lifter noise -- how much $ to fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifter noise -- how much $ to fix?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Lifter noise -- how much $ to fix?

A lifter on my 4.0 is fairly loud, although much more quiet after I put in Rislone and Rotella.

How much will it cost to have it repaired? How long can I drive it in this condition?

Thanks!
Dan

streetzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Anyone have any thoughts on price or how long I can drive it with a noisy lifter?
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
RedRocket1994
1994 ZJ 

How noisy is it? Do people look your way with strange looks when you're driving in a parking lot? If so, you might wanna look at doing it really soon. If it's just "ticky" when you pop the hood or when it's idling in the morning, you might be okay for awhile, just judging by personal experience...

To replace a lifter, the head has to be removed, and all lifters should be replaced. Many would recommend replacing the cam as well, but I don't believe this is necessary, esp if you have under 150k. A shop might charge around $600-1000 for a job like that. Depending on where you are and what parts have to be replaced.

Remember: Every time you call a Jeep a "car", God kills a kitten.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #657[/COLOR]
RedRocket1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Mcclain61
1997 ZJ 

I had an f150 with the 302 that ran low on oil like a gallon low lol drove it for 500 miles like that

Thought it was the oil pump but it wasn't

Sounded like an old diesel until I put oil in it.... then it just had a slight tick after that like a loose rocker arm...

I'm sure it needed a new cam and lifter set and prolly main bearings too but it ran great .....

Then I traded it even for the zj I have now....

It isn't to big of a job changing the lifters I would change the cam too while ur down that far and the timing set too

Only real specific tool I know ull need is a torque wrench

Take ur time pay attention to what ur doing and don't be afraid to ask questions
Mcclain61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

It's pretty loud, and I've got 257k on it. So if it's only about $600-1000 I'd do it, but I'm hoping to delay that as long as possible. Also, the weather up here in Minnesota will be warming up soon, so I'm hoping that helps.

If I pull the head, can I also replace the piston rings? I have piston slap on one and it clatters for the first minute or so.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Mcclain61
1997 ZJ 

You need to drop the oil pan to change the rings so you would be better off pulling the motor and if u do that id call around to some machine shops or jys and seeing if they had a good low mile unit or a rebuilt one
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
RedRocket1994
1994 ZJ 

For all intents & purposes, doing rings is a big job. I mean compared to doing a head gasket w/ lifter R&R. 257K means your ZJ has alot of "experience", so I'd def do a timing chain since you have the head off. If you're gonna do this job yourself, just make sure you get an aftermarket "coated" gasket, like FelPro part# 530SD. The dealer gasket is multi-layer steel, uncoated, and is intended for a new engine with no surface imperfections.

You'll also find alot of use with an air- or corded-electric-power drill fitted with a "cookie", or surface prep disc, they're not to much at the autoparts store, and you'll like using it to clean and prep your deck surfaces. 3M calls them "Roloc" discs, and you'd want to use the grey or green ones, trust me, it saves ALOT of work. Of course, a repair manual and torque wrench are ABSOLUTELY necessary. At 257k, there's no reason you can't just "freshen up" the top end w/o doing any bottom end work, even w/ some slap when she's cold... I'm done rambling now...

Remember: Every time you call a Jeep a "car", God kills a kitten.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #657[/COLOR]
RedRocket1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetzj View Post
It's pretty loud, and I've got 257k on it. So if it's only about $600-1000 I'd do it, but I'm hoping to delay that as long as possible. Also, the weather up here in Minnesota will be warming up soon, so I'm hoping that helps.

If I pull the head, can I also replace the piston rings? I have piston slap on one and it clatters for the first minute or so.
Its probably a broken piston skirt.
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Ok, so I should probably just do the lifters and timing chain. Should I look for anything else since I'll have the head off?

I'll check the piston rings and skirt.

This is a close call, because I only paid $1000 for it, plus 500 for five new tires, but it needs a new exhaust system, ball joints, and a rear end rebuild. I could probably sell this one for 1000 and buy one with lower miles for 1500.
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Mcclain61
1997 ZJ 

What shape is the lower mile one in?

Just because it may have lower miles doesn't mean its in better running condition...
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

+++ Oh yeah, my main question is how long can I continue to drive with a bad lifter, and what would happen eventually?!
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Mcclain61
1997 ZJ 

You can drive it a long time like that eventually that valve will stop opening depending on if its the intake valve or exhaust valve will decide what happens next

Intake valve nothing will happen but power loss

Exhaust valve could cause the cylinder to fill up with fuel back fire power loss a whole bunch of bad stuff

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.