lifted ZJ vibrates, someone help!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
MDtags98

lifted ZJ vibrates, someone help!!

Hey guys, this is my first post on here so bare with me. Two weeks ago I got a 3.5" Rough Country lift for my 98 Grand Cherokee. Install is all complete and now I have a vibration that I just cant figure out. It never did it before the lift, and it started as soon as I put it on. It starts dead nuts on 30mph, smooths out about 35, returns about 38 (at a higher pitch if you know what I mean), then smooths out at 45. I might feel it a little bit around 55 60 as well. Anything under 30 is totally smooth, and between 45 and 55 is too. If I let off the gas it goes away a little bit, but I think that's just because it slows down to a speed that it doesn't vibrate at. If I coast to a stop from 50mph, I still feel it at all the same speeds as when I accelerate. I replaced the u joints on the front and back of the rear drive shaft and nothing. I pulled the front drive shaft and test drove and still no change. I kinda ran out of ideas here so any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 12:29 PM
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Rear pinion angle.. contributing to driveline vibe. Investing in adjustable length control arms can fix it, lots of info here on the forum can be brought up in a search.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
MDtags98

thanks ill give it a try. is there any way to check that without buying the new control arms? I think you might be right though. the RC control arms with that kit are like an inch and a half longer than the stock ones. you are talking about the rear LCAs right? not the front

post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
MDtags98

oh okay I see what youre talking about. the shorter control arms will turn the diff upwards to make it meet the ds more head on. correct?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 03:45 PM
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Didn't realize you had aftermarket control arms. I have no experience with those fixed arms, I opted for adjustability.

Guess you need to see where it's sitting, get yourself something like this and get a measurement. Then you'll know which direction it needs to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-.../dp/B00004T807

Another option I suppose would be a transfercase drop.. but those have the adjustment your looking for. Seriously, do a search and you'll most likely find well written threads showing pics and drawings that'd help you understand. As well as your options.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 03:57 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You should not need a t-case drop on a ZJ at that height.

The pinion yoke of the diff should parallel with the t-case output at ride height.

Your description also sound like it's at certain RPM ranges that it vibrates. Have you checked your motor and trans mounts as well as your harmonic balancer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 05:10 PM
green98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

I second that you don't need a t case drop. I had one on before I swapped transmissions and it vibrated at 45 mph. I decided to ditch it since I knew it was unnecessary once I had everything out. Now I don't have any vibes (knock on wood)

98 Laredo 4.GO, 373s, Magnaflow, ax15, lifted
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 PM
t600
1998 ZJ 

Can you pull your rear DS and do a test run in front wheel drive? If it still vibrates I'd look at the mounts and balancer like Kg said.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 

If you installed longer than stock rear lower cas and kept stock length rear upper cas, your pinion angle must be pretty bad. Either get longer uppers or shorter lowers, or adjustables.

Id pull the driveshaft, cover the tcase output if it is the internal slip yoke style, and go for a drive to see if the vibes go away.

Tags
grand cherokee , lifted , vibrate , vibrations , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.