Which lift and what is needed? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which lift and what is needed?

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I didnt need a spring compressor when I did my BB. I just disconnected the sway bar, shock, and lower control arm and was able to get enough room that way.

Unread 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Hey I'm kind of bringing back an old thread but SPRING IS HERE IN WISCONSIN! Have a couple questions before I confirm all plans to boost my jeep.

I'm getting the IRO 2" BB with the hydro shocks, I was doing a little more searching and found that I could get new coil spring isolators too and stack them with the pucks to get (roughly) 2.5" Link: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

Would this be a good idea to do? I was looking around my springs the other day and saw that my isolators are kind of run down to a point where if I take the spring out they will just crumble apart.

ALSO should I extend my rear spring retaining posts? Found a good thread on how to do so: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...posts-1388945/

Finally! Should I rent a spring compressor from an auto store? I'll be using these instructions for my lift and it recommends it: http://kevinsoffroad.com/sharedinsta...allbbzjxj.html

This is my daily city driver. I live in Milwaukee and the streets SUCK. This truck will be taken off road in Upper Michigan. It will pretty much see a lot of old (and some new) logging trails.

Thanks for all the help!
Upgrade to either the DT or the Bilstein shocks. I would just replace the current isolators with new and leave it at that, you'll wind up getting a bit of a boost if the old ones are garbage. You should be fine without doing post extensions at 2", I ran mine without them and was fine.

You don't really need the compressor for a 2" lift. The rears will just fall out and the front can be pushed in and by manipulating the axle up and down on the opposite side you're working on.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Awesome! I just want to make sure everything is done right. Better safe than sorry! Anything simple I should replace while I have the wheel off? (Except brakes those were put in september)
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #34
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Check the upper & lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and track bar bushings, replace if dry rotted or sponge like. Grease all the ball joints, tie rod ends and u-joints. While your there check to be sure your brake hoses and lines are in good shape, no cracked hoses or flakey rust on the lines. CV joint boots OK? etc.... Good time to put in a new fuel filter and change lubes.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
I would just replace the current isolators with new and leave it at that, you'll wind up getting a bit of a boost if the old ones are garbage.
Looking at rock auto they only have front spring isolators sold in pairs, do the fronts work safely in the back? Saw one thread on here that many said yes to but one guy said they were different shapes :/

Looking at getting these:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...732&cc=1182114
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
there is no point lifting your jeep more than 2"
I'm REALLY hoping you mean Just for this thread. Either way, please explain reasons NOT to upgrade more than 2"
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #37
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Looking at rock auto they only have front spring isolators sold in pairs, do the fronts work safely in the back? Saw one thread on here that many said yes to but one guy said they were different shapes :/

Looking at getting these:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...732&cc=1182114
The rears have a flat spot on them. They are not a full circle. I don't think they work.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Then wouldn't the 2" lift spacers also have that "D" shape? All four are circular. Just lookin to save some money instead of buying isolators for $65 from IRO...
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #39
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Then wouldn't the 2" lift spacers also have that "D" shape? All four are circular. Just lookin to save some money instead of buying isolators for $65 from IRO...
Weird, my Daystar BB had the flat spot on them for the rear. The front stock isolators won't work on the rear, it's a tighter fit up by the coil posts in the rear.
This is what mine looked like and here are the pics of the rear isolators.
picture-9.png   picture-10.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #40
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

If you stack the isolator on top of the spacer in the rear it clears that lip so the rear spacer doesn't need to have it. Just about every budget boost I've ever seen has all circular spacers.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #41
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Hm so I'm stuck with buying the rears from IRO but what about the fronts? IRO advertises their isolator to be 0.75" thick and to my understanding that's the stock (brand new) thickness. Or should I just buy both pairs from IRO and stop being cheap?
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Flat Spots

This should be about time for Kolak to add his $386 worth! My Kolak "budget" boost included 2" F&R spacers, both with flat spots, I assume for tire clearance. I kept my OE isolators, extra 1/4 inch lift as both were in good condition. The Bilstein 5100 shocks are super smooth, I think I would prefer something a bit stiffer. ( My $0.02). I would do it again knowing I am getting what I paid for. My next ZJ though will stay at stock height.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

The fronts from rock auto are fine. IRO isolators are a factory replacement.
Mopar or no car!
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #44
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

And everyone understands trying to save a few bucks man.
Mopar or no car!
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
This should be about time for Kolak to add his $386 worth! My Kolak "budget" boost included 2" F&R spacers, both with flat spots, I assume for tire clearance. I kept my OE isolators, extra 1/4 inch lift as both were in good condition. The Bilstein 5100 shocks are super smooth, I think I would prefer something a bit stiffer. ( My $0.02). I would do it again knowing I am getting what I paid for. My next ZJ though will stay at stock height.
Not bad. I'm going to run RE twin tubes. I don't know how different shocks ride but I hope I don't crack a tooth going down my city street then shell out cash for the dentist and Bilstein's. I'm also replacing all 8 control arms, front+rear track bar bushings, plus front and rear sway bushings. Total without alignment is about $400. Expecting to pay about $80 for Sears 6mo guaranteed alignment then I'd add another $50 for broken bolts, PB blaster, and food for my helper.

Doing all this work because it looks like the Jeep is running stock shocks (still ride good) and I'm assuming no other suspension part was changed in its 176k mile life and its a good time to do so since I'm taking it all apart anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.