Which lift and what is needed? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which lift and what is needed?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
That hasn't been my experience. If anything, I've had a harder time finding 15" tires. Maybe Montana tire shops are just weird like that...
There are hardly any if any at all new vehicles using 15" rims so it's not strange that a tire shop would have fewer selections in 15".

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
There are hardly any if any at all new vehicles using 15" rims so it's not strange that a tire shop would have fewer selections in 15".
That's what I was told as well. Everybody has upgraded to at absolute least 16", bigger even.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Yea my old tires were junk. Came with it when I bought it. Goodyears (forgot what kind) tread was shot on all but 1 and even that was horrible..curb rash cause they didn't know how to park and leaky! (Thankfully it wasnt the rims) does anyone have any good tips to clean up my rims? Can I repaint the gold areas once I get them cleaned up?
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Yea my old tires were junk. Came with it when I bought it. Goodyears (forgot what kind) tread was shot on all but 1 and even that was horrible..curb rash cause they didn't know how to park and leaky! (Thankfully it wasnt the rims) does anyone have any good tips to clean up my rims? Can I repaint the gold areas once I get them cleaned up?
Well you can if you want to spend all that time taping it off. Or you could just paint them black or plasti dip them black. With plasti you can peel it off later but either way, the tear drop limited rims look great black. That gold is ugly as ****.
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

I just did a 2"bb and plasti dipped my rims. But I have baby 225 70 16 long trail tires:/

image-3586443154.jpg
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

So does everyone agree that this kit (with the the added hydro shocks) is a good buy?
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK

OR this one?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76117_700.htm
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Stay away from Skyjacker.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Get the iro with good shocks and you'll be set.

And at 2" with 31's these things will keep up with reasonably built tj's. I was just out with a bunch of tj's and jk's and they were amazed how I could keep up, even with my ****ty tires.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

IRO all the way. Upgrade to Bilsteins eventually and you will be SET!
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

But the shocks that are with the IRO kit will fit the lift right? I just want to buy the right thing off the bat
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3
But the shocks that are with the IRO kit will fit the lift right? I just want to buy the right thing off the bat
Yes they will work & IRO will stand behind their product, but you have an option to upgrade to Bilsteins at the time of purchase. IRO says the Bilsteins are a nicer ride, but the Doetche Tech shocks have longer travel for flex. Last time I asked, all their personal rigs have D-Techs, & so does mine.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Are extended sway bar links needed/ recommended for a 2" BB?
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg
Are extended sway bar links needed/ recommended for a 2" BB?
Probably not, but call & ask IRO. They're the experts on the lifts they sell & they don't sell you stuff you don't need... Unless you really want it, of course. I'd say that if you are going to take this on the trail, get the JKS quick disconnects for the front swaybar.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

They aren't really needed but they're nice to have. If you're going to disco then you will want at least longer links or it can be a righteous pain to get things reconnected.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Hey I'm kind of bringing back an old thread but SPRING IS HERE IN WISCONSIN! Have a couple questions before I confirm all plans to boost my jeep.

I'm getting the IRO 2" BB with the hydro shocks, I was doing a little more searching and found that I could get new coil spring isolators too and stack them with the pucks to get (roughly) 2.5" Link: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

Would this be a good idea to do? I was looking around my springs the other day and saw that my isolators are kind of run down to a point where if I take the spring out they will just crumble apart.

ALSO should I extend my rear spring retaining posts? Found a good thread on how to do so: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...posts-1388945/

Finally! Should I rent a spring compressor from an auto store? I'll be using these instructions for my lift and it recommends it: http://kevinsoffroad.com/sharedinsta...allbbzjxj.html

This is my daily city driver. I live in Milwaukee and the streets SUCK. This truck will be taken off road in Upper Michigan. It will pretty much see a lot of old (and some new) logging trails.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.