Lift ideas to fit 37's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lift ideas to fit 37's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
RedDirtKustoms

Lift ideas to fit 37's

I already have a 5 in lift. Posted under wrong category but a fellow said those budget boost would help. I'm parting out my mud truck and have brand new 37's off a up armored humvee I want to put on her. With the 5 in lift plus the 2.25 boost do you think that will give me the room I need without cutting? Any ideas welcome getting ready for rednecks with paychecks at st Jo tx in march!

image-3464544134.jpg

RedDirtKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

try it but not even close. frankly, if you ran 33s on that setup and disconnected the sway bar i don't think they'd fit....

what kind of lift do you have in it already? my fullsize IFS truck flexes better than that

sell the 37s and get some 33s and a real lift kit. it'll be better in the long run.

37s are a lot of work and way overkill for stock axles.

wanna run the 37s, time to ditch stock axles, and get some bigger ones under there, and run a real linked suspension, should clear then.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You don't have a 5" lift.

Since you're concerned about cost, don't even bother trying to fit 37s.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
RedDirtKustoms

Well that sucks. I don't know what lift is on her I just got it traded a stang for it. All I know is it's. 5 inches.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
adavis39
2002 WJ 

looks like a 2'' Budget Boost to me.....no way that a 5'' lift
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-crap-1399123/

"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Measure from the center of the wheel cap to the fender lip and post the numbers.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
RedDirtKustoms

No there is definitely a suspension lift some cheap *** EZ lift I believe is what it says. I'm oilfield so I'm out in patch till Thursday night will post some numbers Friday morning. I'm completely new to jeeps guys so be easy on my knowledge I'm a ford man. I saw this 5.2 for sale and was looking for a new project so I jumped on it.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
avengerdude27
1994 ZJ 

this is set up for 37s, but will ultimately have 35s on it. 7" longarm and some cutting
avengerdude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if you want a project then you can definitely do it.

but its not an easy or cheap project.

i will try and break some info down for you:
why it won't work:
that lift thats on it is not a good base at all to start with. you will need to start from scratch. with that lift, which is definitely short arm, your 37s will rub everywhere. even if you 'trim' your 37 will smash into the inner fender; adding more lift on this setup will actually make this worse. (angles get worse on short arms, thus tire gets closer to fender) you need to build a susbstantial suspension to move that axle forward.
your axles, are garbage (all ZJ stock diffs are. SPECIFICALLY for 37s) your gearing will blow, it will be slow as hell and just a pain to drive.

so: how would i suggest your ultimate goal of 37s?

new diffs: either a rear ford 8.8/front D44 or better, go to full D60s front and rear. the bigger diffs will also give you more lift, without really increasing spring heights.
regear them and rebuild them, and lock them. add 35 spline shafts in the rear. and drums. this step will probably cost close to 5k. do you need to do diffs? your call.

suspension. do a full claytons long arm kit, 7", maybe if you really want, add a spacer on it. cut the hell out of everything that gets in the way. honestly, this is a waste to do on stock axles though. 37s will snap stock ZJ axles fairly quickly. you'll also need to redo driveshafts most likely, but you'd have to do this if you put new diffs in it anyways.

it can be done though; its not cheap.

i guess if you wanted 37s under it ASAP, do the claytons kit, add a spacer and go from there. but again............ diffs.

lastly, with 33s, lockers and beadlocks, i/we don't have a lot of issues keeping up with the bigger rigs on 37s and stuff. their rigs are better? yes. but for a fun day of wheeling we can still get'r done.
just more food for thought.

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
RedDirtKustoms

Ya that's nice man. I just rolled over 240k on my green one. They are for sure more fun than trucks on the trails. I'd rather sell off the 37s but hard finding buyers. I really don't know how much to ask for them. I didn't pay nothin for them
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
RedDirtKustoms

Good deal man. Ill put these 37s on Craigslist and see what I can get or swap for. I finally got a brand new 460 for my mud truck but it's been a two year project. Basically I got burnt out. The ZJ is light and handles well in the mud it amazed and impressed me. Finding parts down here in oklahoma and Texas is hard as hell though
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

for sure.

i'll take a ZJ on 33s over a fullsize anything on 38s. about the only advantage i've seen would be the 38s in deep mud/water. but out here, the lil' ZJs just go around it.

for that rig, maybe tweak up the suspension a bit with some decent parts, some 33s and some aussie lockers for the stock diffs. running mud i think you'd be surprised how capable that is. and if you're good with your coin and have mad Craigslist skills, you might be able to cover a lot of it with the proceeds from sellin 37s

Unread 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
RedDirtKustoms

Talk to me about the Aussie lockers. What kind of bread do I need to set aside for those. Last lockers I got for my truck was like 1400
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Should be about $400 an axle
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie lockers are some of the best lunch box lockers out there in my opinion.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.