Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lift gate support mod

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Smokey1r 
#1 ·
So my Dad was given a 1993 Grand Wagoneer that needs some work (172,xxx 5.2) and as we were going through it we noticed a rather ingenious mod to the rear liftgate supports. See the picture below. Metal tubing has got to be cheaper than new liftgate supports so I thought I'd share this with everyone. :D

Left to right: Opening, open, going down (without release), closing (with release).

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Essentially if your lift supports don't support the weight of the liftgate it won't come crashing down when opened. This eliminates the need to use something to prop it up basically.

#5 ·
No offense, but for $50 at Oreilly's, is it really worth it to try and engineer something you hope keeps a 100lb liftgate from falling and breaking your back in two?

I appreciate the thinking and ingenuity going in to thinking this up, but I just don't see the point when replacements are less than a tank of gasoline...

#7 ·
I get what you're saying, though. Personally I like fixing things the way they should be but I think the PO on the Wagoneer given its condition (bad trans, rattle can paint job) and the repairs it needs probably didn't think it was justified. I think this method is far more secure than using a broom handle etc especially if it is employed on both lift supports.

#8 ·
I get ya. I realize I've become a bit of a snob lately with my Orvis. It's in such nice condition I sometimes go a little overboard on it. I have definitely owned vehicles that the struts would have been 3/4 of the vehicle's worth. I've also been at the point where $50 for a set of liftgate struts or food for the next week for the family.

Sorry for my previous comment. I get now that it was pretty harsh. I use my hatch A LOT, and as such I'm willing to spend the extra for new struts. But back in Minnesota I barely used the rear end of my Blazer so they would have been a waste. In fact I used it so seldom I can't remember if it was a side opening (hinges in the fender) or top opening like our ZJ's. :tea:

And I agree. That system is far superior to any sort of broom handle or other removable support system. Yours is far less likely to fail because you bumped it with whatever you were stuffing in the back.

#14 ·
Probably not.

Do you drive down the road with the lift gate open?

#17 ·
I didn't have the cash for new lift struts and did the same thing, that wood prop I was using seemed to always get knocked out and slam down on me, with the strut tube holds I never have to worry about it falling, they do not rattle and they are always there when you need them, plus I didn't care for the fact that with new struts when you open the hatch they power it all the way open and then you have to pull it down and push it close with no type of handle at all.

#29 ·
Back in 09 my friends jeep rear hatch decided to assault me after the prop she used to hold it up gave way. After that i started pricing new lift supports, $29 later off of eBay for a set i haven had any issues since with it or any more knots on my head!!!!..... :facepalm:

The spacers are a nice Temporary idea at best!!!!!!, but better just to get the new lift supports and be finished with it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.