Lift on a daily driver - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lift on a daily driver

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #46
biebs53
1998 ZJ 

Cut the exhaust before the cat

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-raven-biebs53-build-thread-1215245/[/FONT][/url][/CENTER]
biebs53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #47
woodst0ck
1994 ZJ 

I'd really like to take it to the desert as well. any special mods for that?
woodst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #48
woodst0ck
1994 ZJ 

So i just found out i need new sway bar links and new control arm bushings. should i get special ones if i'm going to lift my jeep?
woodst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #49
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
throw it up there and use ratchet strap to hold it down.

like this:

You do realize that in a collision that tire will fly off and possibly kill someone right?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #50
LinBaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
You do realize that in a collision that tire will fly off and possibly kill someone right?
you mean if being run over by 2 tons of Detroit steel on great knobby tires didn't already do the job?

Good straps are rated at up to 6000 lbs, those probably rated at a ton, the inertia/speed required to break a 1 ton strap with a 30? 40? lb tire would insure that everyone in the car would die as well, since they weigh what? 175lbs, you ever see a seatbelt break? Things double in weight for every foot of free fall, so at 60 mph the adjusted "weight/inertia" of the tire would be maybe 100 lbs

How do I know it wouldn't break if those are quality straps?

12 years as a fireman paramedic that specialized in helicopter cliff rescues when people drove off cliffs in Northern California that responded to thousands of calls in that time, I saw thousands of examples of what occur in car crashes under the most extreme conditions imaginable, that Jeep would be the size of a Honda cvvc, but if properly secured that tire would still be there, the roof rack would be what failed actually, far before the straps

I work with straps like that all day long picking up things that weigh 2-3x what that Jeep Weighs, much less the tire, check the photos as well (the links)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&id=1282565540

Truth is I could pick that entire Jeep up with those straps, 15 minutes, and two small (carryable) pieces of Tree Gear, and a 30' length of 5/8 climbing line (and a tree nearby), I lifted my Class B dump Truck engine out with straps that looked about like that

If he uses reputable, well made straps, secured by even a few half hitches to back up the ratchets it will be fine unless the Jeep rolls over on top of someone and the tire kills them, but at that point it's moot

Last edited by LinBaba; 07-31-2011 at 01:14 AM..
LinBaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #51
zachk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinBaba View Post
you mean if being run over by 2 tons of Detroit steel on great knobby tires didn't already do the job?

Good straps are rated at up to 6000 lbs, those probably rated at a ton, the inertia/speed required to break a 1 ton strap with a 30? 40? lb tire would insure that everyone in the car would die as well, since they weigh what? 175lbs, you ever see a seatbelt break? Things double in weight for every foot of free fall, so at 60 mph the adjusted "weight/inertia" of the tire would be maybe 100 lbs

How do I know it wouldn't break if those are quality straps?

12 years as a fireman paramedic that specialized in helicopter cliff rescues when people drove off cliffs in Northern California that responded to thousands of calls in that time, I saw thousands of examples of what occur in car crashes under the most extreme conditions imaginable, that Jeep would be the size of a Honda cvvc, but if properly secured that tire would still be there, the roof rack would be what failed actually, far before the straps

I work with straps like that all day long picking up things that weigh 2-3x what that Jeep Weighs, much less the tire, check the photos as well (the links)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rc1l0WWcNU

Truth is I could pick that entire Jeep up with those straps, 15 minutes, and two small (carryable) pieces of Tree Gear, and a 30' length of 5/8 climbing line (and a tree nearby), I lifted my Class B dump Truck engine out with straps that looked about like that

If he uses reputable, well made straps, secured by even a few half hitches to back up the ratchets it will be fine unless the Jeep rolls over on top of someone and the tire kills them, but at that point it's moot

5 points for LinBaba
zachk94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #52
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Mine as a DD was not lifted for 5 years and then lifted 4.5 to 6.5 for 11 or so years.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #53
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mines at 3" and a DD. 31" tires on stock gears WILL dropkick your mpg, but you've learned one main thing so far:

YOU DRIVE A JEEP. MPG MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Now can we decide already if you're taking that lift or not??? Because there's lots of other people who would gladly take it if you really dont know. If it's taking this long, Im thinking a 2" bb on 30's is in your future.

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #54
davidcombs_03
1997 ZJ 

Lift It! Best of Luck!
davidcombs_03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #55
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodst0ck View Post
Same here blackjack, even without a lift. I hit a bear with it last summer and only had to get a new bumper.

Lol
BL_Maros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #56
davidvondoom
1996 ZJ 

Lift it!
davidvondoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #57
EdZJ96

i just lifted mine with rough country's f<b 3.5 inch lift with 31's km2's and its my dd i give like 14mpg with my 318 and out of all my buddies with lifted 5inch+ cherokees i can still hang with them in the trails no problem.
EdZJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #58
EdZJ96

http://
theres a picture of my rig
EdZJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #59
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Just my 2sense> i have calculated my mpgs ever since i got my jeep and it is always between 19.4 and 21.1mpgs... Although mine is at stock height, stock size tires. But cold air intake, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and Exhaust>... just sayin
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdZJ96 View Post
http://
theres a picture of my rig
Looks Sick as hell.... LOVE IT. once i get the few extra dollars (next couple of years.. lol) im painting mine all black also..
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
daily driver , lift , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.