Which lift is the better choice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which lift is the better choice?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Knight2584
1998 ZJ 

Which lift is the better choice?

Hey guys, this is my first post on JF. Recently bought two jeeps the one I have a question on is my 5.2l zj, bone stock. The most immediate goal following all preventive maintenance is the lift. I don't really see much price difference between the 2" bb and a 3.5" from rough country. The only thing I am concerned with is the note in the 3.5 kit description.

Note:
Models equipped with C/V style front driveshaft may result in driveshaft vibration. If this occurs, replacing the driveshaft, axle yoke and / or transfer case yoke will need to be performed to rid the vehicle of driveline vibration.

Is it common to need to replace these things with a 3.5" lift? and which is the better choice. I
am planning on either 31" or 33" depending on the lift and either is fine with me. I am planning on light off roading for a while. Thanks

Knight2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

just so you know, all these questions have been posted before. The search button is in the top left hand corner, use it please.

To answer your question, if you're planning on running 33's or bigger and wheeling it, you should swap the front drive shaft to a u-joint type in order to prevent it exploding on the trail. Don't do a SYE as it's not needed on zj's

I'm against any lift by Rough Country, spend the money, lift it right the first time, you'll be replacing and upgrading quickly IMO.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Knight2584
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I happened to notice the other threads about 10 seconds after I posted, but couldn't find the delete thread on my phone. Read all the rules and FAQ's so I understand the search bar use. Also saw that Rough country is not recommended. IRO seems to be the recommended lift.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2584 View Post
Yeah I happened to notice the other threads about 10 seconds after I posted, but couldn't find the delete thread on my phone. Read all the rules and FAQ's so I understand the search bar use. Also saw that Rough country is not recommended. IRO seems to be the recommended lift.
Iro, rubicon express and a few others.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

also, you wont fit 33s on a 3.5 inch lift
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

33's will fit but you won't be doing any off roading and I would watch out for bumps driving on the road too. Kid around here has a ZJ with 3.5 and 33x12.50's It's a tight fit and it's a pavement pounder. Not functional at all for off road.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Id go with IRO 3.5" Benchmark lift and add adjustable rear trackbar too which is not 100% necessary right away but if you can afford it I would get it. Also the hydro shocks that come with the kit are garbage and I would highly recommend upgrading the shocks to Bilstein 5100s or something better than the hydro shocks. The hydro shocks lasted less than 20k miles on my ZJ and rode like crap. With this lift 31s work nicely with proper backspacing on the wheels.

I still have the cv style front driveshaft with said lift installed.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

id definately replace the cv driveshaft. hell, mine came apart in my driveway pulling up onto car ramps, and i just have a BB.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
also, you wont fit 33s on a 3.5 inch lift
unless you trim lol
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Trim? More like remove the fenders completely lol
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I will take a picture of the kids 3.5 with 33's today when I go to the gym and you will see that they do fit but there is no room for hitting bumps.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
Trim? More like remove the fenders completely lol
I think it depends on your sag. I'm at 3" of lift on 31's with plenty of clearance without trimming the rear (front I just took off the front bumper). seems most people on 3.5" springs (good springs) sit slightly higher you could fit with some, just not a lot of flex. I wouldn't do it though. I'll have to see how my 31's look after I put on my 3.5" RE springs
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
IndianScout
1995 ZJ 

I don't know why you guys are so against the rough Country lift, I installed the 3.5" with some extras and have not had a problem, I've had it all over up in the hills..

I'm going with 32" tires
IndianScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The little guy wasn't at work today. I'll check tomorrow. Looks to me like he drives it every day but does not take it off road. Not that there is anywhere around here to do that anyway. Crap state.
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Knight2584
1998 ZJ 

Ha thanks for the info. I will probably go with the 3.5" and 31's. When I do it I want to do it right, so I will take the advice to replace the front drive shaft and better shocks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.