Lets see if anyone can figure this one out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lets see if anyone can figure this one out!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Darmon6669

Lets see if anyone can figure this one out!

Ok, im new to jeeps. This problem has been driving me crazy... I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee Larado 4.0L with select trac 4x4, I bought it from a guy that hit a curb hard with the right front wheel. So hard that it pushed the diff into the oil pan wrecking the oil pump and engine. So i bought an engine from a 1991 cherokee with seems to be the identicle block, I installed the engine and a new front diff and the truck runs great! BUT only in park.

I try and shift to reverse and it dies, It will go in drive and neutral fine only if its cold and in drive it will actualy drive fine for about 50 feet and the tranny grabs instantly and feels perfect when its cold and then it stalls, but let everything heat up and it dies instantly as soon as it shifts out of park. I have even tryed reving it to 3000 and going from park to neutral but still dies!!!

My only thought is it needs a new Torque converter or TCM, It seems as soon as its not in park even with out the tranny engaging there is a big load on the engine or some how fuel or ignition is being cut off!!

If anyone has had this problem or any ideas of something im overlooking please help!! Thanks in advance!

Darmon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

did you switch all the electronics from you old engine..
did you force the tranny and engine together.... the convertor has to line up with the pump or it will mess it up..
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Darmon6669

Yup, i took the new engine down to a long block. And i didnt touch the converter at all.
When i bolted the new engine in i tightened everything up and spun the converter with one finger to line the bolt holes up with the flex plate so there should be no problem with the pump.
Thanks for the reply.
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I wonder if you are having some sort of problem with the neutral safety switch. Will it start in neutral and park only? Try starting it in gear and see how it acts. Or you could try bypassing the switch and see if that helps.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Darmon6669

Switch is good, only starts in park and neutral but if its hot it wont start in neutral only park.
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

you did get the correct front axle...
try disconnecting the front drive shaft... maybe it will run then.. probably a long shot... if it works your buying the beer
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Starting to sound like there is a problem in the transmission itself. When it gets hot is just quits? Does the engine just stop like you turned the key off or does it sound like it is getting bogged down? I wonder if something in the tranny is getting hot expanding and binding up.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

i would say a new flex plate and torque converter, if its grabing that will make it grab most the time if it got ****eyed, thats why i runs in the neutral gears and not drives
Unread 09-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Lockup solenoid?

You've go the 42re tranny. Ask the Dakota guys, they use the same tranny as we do.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
urq2

urq2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
simidrm

I had the exact same thing happen to mine as well I even took it to the jeep dealer who was lost so I started swaping out parts and did the whole ign system turned out to be crank sensor,I know that don;t sound right but mine did the same thing ran great in park or drive till it warmed up but no matter what if I went to reverse it died instantly drove me nuts for 2 months but thats what it was and now runs great no prob
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.