Left Rear Taillight & Overhead console light for next & menu went out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Left Rear Taillight & Overhead console light for next & menu went out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-29-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
vngdh

Left Rear Taillight & Overhead console light for next & menu went out

Hello everyone.

Has anyone had to replace a taillight (not the lense, just the light) on their 2000? Mine went out sometime this week, found out tonight. The running lights/signals work.

My computer didn't state this (should it? I have seen other posts indicating that they will notify for backup lights, etc)....

I have changed bulbs on my 91 Cherokee and it was a breeze. I am hoping that this will be as easy. Any pointers or tips for this (should be simple) task from those who have done it before (99-current)?

Also I noticed that my overhead computer (compass, temp, all the goodies) had a bulb burnt out for the -next- and -menu- buttons (the -E/M- and -reset- work fine). I am tempted to take it to the dealer to fix this? Has anyone done this before. Any recommendations? I have the basic tools only.

Also.. last but not least.. is there a Chilton's or comperable repair book for the 2000 yet?

TIA,

Dan

vngdh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2002, 12:10 AM   #2
MJR

If you are still under 3/36 bulbs are covered. You open the rear hatch and take the two phillips screws out. Pull the light straight back to pop it out of a clip. The sockets twist out. One of the common problems on 99-up is black oxidation marks where the sockets make contact. Clean them with a rubber eraser. No I don't think the 99-up tell you when a bulb is out.
Unread 12-30-2002, 10:32 PM   #3
vngdh

Thanks

The bulb filiment for brakes was burnt out (though the running light was still ok). I replaced it easily.

I checked the wjjeeps.com site and they gave a headup on how to access the overhead command center. Unfortunatly when I tried to use my philips to unscrew the front of it, it appears someone else may have tried it before (I bought the vehicle used) and it appears stripped. Grrrr Once it annoys me enough I'll take it to the dealer I suppose. Rather have them drill out the screw and risk cracking the casing than me ;-)

-Dan
vngdh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2002, 01:18 AM   #4
MJR

It might actually be a T20 or T25 torx (star) bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.