Leaking Transmission - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leaking Transmission

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got them too. Modified a 8mm socket to fit in there.

Need to go get a jack that can lift higher than mine...

woodyvw9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got that mother out! Thanks for all the help.

Trying to get the torque convertor off but it does not want to. Do I need a special tool? It moves a half inch or so then nothing. Maybe I am being too nice...
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well its still not coming off...

Should I pry it? Everything I read talks about it sliding right off, it slides out a inch or so and then nothing.

I am not sure if I should try to motivate it or not. Quitting for the night to google about it...
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Make sure you havent forgotten any bolts on the flex plate.

As far as the FSM goes, you're supposed to pull the converter together with the tranny.
If you're certain nothing's holding it, try gently prying, but don't pry against the flex plate - stick the crowbar as far as possible down to the center.
Also giving the tranny a few wiggles right-left and up-down seems to help.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for the confusion, I got the tranny out with the converter, I just could not get the converter off the transmission input shaft, I just got it last night with a puller rig I made. It really kind of pulled off rather easy so I don't know why I could not just pull it off. Either way I got it and am going to attack the input shaft seal, which does look deranged. Does it make sense to take the pump out and replace all seals (I have the whole kit) or just change what is
obviously failed?

The transmission had been operating fine except it was pouring oil out the bellhousing. (My daugther had driven it a couple times the day I noticed its was leaking and said it was fine. I showed her that I knew where she went that day bc of the ATF+4 trail she left!).

Thanks for the help!
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I wanna say replace whatever you can get at , but , if everything was fine , I also wanna say why bother . Think I would do just the seal myself .

Had to replace mine again yesterday . In the past 2 weeks , I removed a trans , installed a trans , removed a trans , removed a trans , and finally , installed and have a good working trans again . Sure didn't take me long to swap this one . 5 hours start to finish and on the road . Nice when everything comes apart easily , and repeating the process so many times helped LOL .

I got a way to get it back on the jack too . Works better than trying to drag it up there from on the floor , I was alone . Let me know if you need the little how to . Simple works
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I broke the CPS off but was lucky to score a Mopar unit at a dealer in Burlingame, only about an hours drive.

I have this baby just about done, torquing the flex plate to torque converter bolts and the book says that if you have the 10.75" converter with .44" bolts, they are to be torqued to 23 ft lbs, but it seems low.

Am I misinterpreting the manual or do these not need to be that tight?

Thanks again!
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got it going, drove it around the block and everything was fine. Parked in front of the house to put it in neutral and check the oil level and see if it went into reverse. It went into reverse fine but started dumping oil out of the front of the bellhousing again. I guess I should have changed the whole pump while I was in there. Either way I have to take it back out again...

Any thoughts on what could be bad besides the pump or input shaft seal?
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

What did you determine to be the issue ?
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bushing was bad and I changed the torque converter.

Got it ready to go back in right now, hopefully have it done tonight...
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got it all back together. Changed the TC and the the pump. Seems to be fine, at the very least we are not leaving a blood trail all around town...

Unread 10-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Good news , that trans oil gets expensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.