Leaking T-Case- Front output? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leaking T-Case- Front output?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Shekels
1995 ZJ 

Leaking T-Case- Front output?

As it states I have a leaking transfer case,

1995 zj
5.2 v8
249 t-case

Now I know every one will say swap the 249 for a real transfer case and I agree however im a broke college student at the moment and just need to stop this leak.

It never leaked like this before. Put the rough country long arm lift kit on it mobbed it pretty hard and still nothing leaked. Then it sits in my driveway for a week and a puddle appears out of no where.

its not the weep hole, thats caked in dirt, its not the breather either, pretty much the whole case is dry except that joint going to the front drive shaft, has a pretty steady flow. maybe a drip a minute.

Is this front output seal? I know the viscous coupler on these things tend to go and i figure mines about done but does the VC leak?

any help would be great I really appreciate it!

img_1985.jpg  
Shekels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

its the front output seal. easy to replace, just disconnect the front driveshaft from the transfer case, remove the yoke (30mm nut IIRC) and replace the seal. the VC is within the transfer case near the rear output
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Shekels
1995 ZJ 

That was my suspicion, was scratching my head as to what else would be leaking, seems like an easy fix ill post some pics when im done.

thanks again
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Shekels
1995 ZJ 

OK I replaced it and Its still leaking. The ATF is coming out from where the rubber of the seal and the metal yoke meet. It is not coming out from where the seal and the T-case meet. I don't know what else I can do, the yoke did not appear to be damaged with scores and burrs. Is there something stupid I'm missing? I'm saving up a for a 231 and will eventually be getting rid of this 249 should I just watch the level and fill as needed? It'd be nice if there was some small detail I over looked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if the seal mating surface on the yoke isnt damaged, id suspect a faulty/damaged seal.

also, i seem to remember there being a rubber washer that goes on the front output shaft. im not 100% sure, but that might be some kind of seal. id start there.
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
JapJohn
1995 ZJ 

I have a leak that looks like it is coming from the front yoke just like yours.

Do you have a spray pattern on the undercarriage right above the yoke?

If so, it may be the shifter shaft going into the T-case. It is right behind the yoke in your picture. There is a nylon(?) sleeve and an o-ring on the shaft, only down side is you will have to split the case to change the 2$ part.
JapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Shekels
1995 ZJ 

Yea I did get a spray pattern but I don't think it was from the link. I figured today that my leak was coming from the star rubber washer thing that Dnuccio was saying. The washer has a spline pattern on the outside to match with the shaft and after taking my yoke out, for the second time in two days, I looked closely at the washer and it was torn up. When you think about the set up the seal only covers the outside of the yoke but where the nut goes onto the spline shaft there's nothing to keep the fluid from going out except that washer. Any way pictures tell a thousand words and here's a great write up I found somewhere on jeepforum.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/leak231/

So I put a little ATV on the spline shaft, probably more than necessary but it has been bone dry ever since. I hope I don't wake up to a puddle tomorrow.

While I was down there I notice a plethora of other leaks. Front passenger break caliper, hard lines for the transmission, radiator hose... I guess this is what they would call a jeep thing? haha
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

Delete
jeep93zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.