Leaking from radiator cap, why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leaking from radiator cap, why?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
WXman
2001 WJ 

Leaking from radiator cap, why?

Had a coolant leak coming from the radiator cap. Bought a new cap, still leaks. When it's hot, and I shut the Jeep off, it leaks out from the cap and sometimes does it pretty bad. What's going on?

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Had a coolant leak coming from the radiator cap. Bought a new cap, still leaks. When it's hot, and I shut the Jeep off, it leaks out from the cap and sometimes does it pretty bad. What's going on?
As the coolant heats up, pressure in the cooling system increases. When the pressure is greater than the rated pressure marked on the radiator cap, the spring in the cap will compress, and coolant will flow past the cap & into the plastic overflow tank. As the engine cools down, coolant is drawn back from the tank into the radiator.
Check for a leaking joint where the small nipple for the coolant overflow hose goes into the radiator neck, a leaking overflow hose, or dirt where the rubber radiator cap gasket seats onto the radiator neck. Also make sure the overflow hose is not cracked or split.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

head gasket too maybe
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

get an OEM cap too
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
As the coolant heats up, pressure in the cooling system increases. When the pressure is greater than the rated pressure marked on the radiator cap, the spring in the cap will compress, and coolant will flow past the cap & into the plastic overflow tank. As the engine cools down, coolant is drawn back from the tank into the radiator.
Check for a leaking joint where the small nipple for the coolant overflow hose goes into the radiator neck, a leaking overflow hose, or dirt where the rubber radiator cap gasket seats onto the radiator neck. Also make sure the overflow hose is not cracked or split.

It's not coming from the overflow tube, it's actually running out from the cap itself. This is a new (but non-OEM) radiator, and I have two radiator caps now that both let coolant come out. This radiator was run all Summer long with no trouble...now all the sudden the cap is letting coolant come out.

Could I have air in the system somewhere or what? This is annoying me because it's leaking bad enough to drain the reservoir every other day or so.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
cmonson

look at the gasket on the cap. Make sure if is in good condition.

a leak is not caused by air in the system.

maybe the mating surface on the non-mopar rad is not perfectly flat. Inspect it and see. Maybe use a file and make sure your cap will seal properly.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
WXman
2001 WJ 

OK I'll check it. I think you are right...it's probably the non-OEM radiator "neck" that's the problem.
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
WXman
2001 WJ 

OK so the problem is that the detent made onto the neck of the radiator isn't thick enough to pull the cap down hard enough to seal everything off as you tighten the cap. If you press down on the cap with your hand, the leak stops. If you turn the cap so that the tabs are directly on the first detent, it'll hold the cap tight enough to stop the leak also. But if you go ahead and fully turn the cap to the position where it stops, the leak returns.

I guess I need to find a way to make the resting detent on the radiator neck thicker, so that when the cap is turned to that position the tabs will hold the cap down tighter. Any ideas on how to do this? I am brainstorming too.....
Unread 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
OK so the problem is that the detent made onto the neck of the radiator isn't thick enough to pull the cap down hard enough to seal everything off as you tighten the cap. If you press down on the cap with your hand, the leak stops. If you turn the cap so that the tabs are directly on the first detent, it'll hold the cap tight enough to stop the leak also. But if you go ahead and fully turn the cap to the position where it stops, the leak returns.

I guess I need to find a way to make the resting detent on the radiator neck thicker, so that when the cap is turned to that position the tabs will hold the cap down tighter. Any ideas on how to do this? I am brainstorming too.....
I think I have the same problem on my ZJ. You can bend the tabs on the cap, that will help.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
cmonson

bend the tabs. also, add another rubber gasket. That shoulf fix it.
Unread 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
WXman
2001 WJ 

extra gasket...that's a good idea! any more?
Unread 10-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

Your coolant overflow system may be clogged.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
WXman
2001 WJ 

I can blow through the overflow tube. no clogs there.
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
cmonson

it is your cap. double gasket it and bend the tabs a little.
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
WXman
2001 WJ 

OK I bent the tabs some and it seems to have maybe stopped the leak. Ran it until hot in park and no leaks visible...will find out for sure when I drive it next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.