Leak Detection Pump P1495 LDP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leak Detection Pump P1495 LDP

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
AzSun

Leak Detection Pump P1495 LDP

Has anyone else had this trouble code and what was the fix? I have a 1999 GC Laredo. I checked the fuses with a light probe, they are good. Dealership said it was a harness prob and $600 for the part and another $400 to install. I think thats a scam. I wish I had schematics. Anyone else have the same trouble?

AzSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I had this code before on my ZJ. I took the pump apart and cleaned out the filter. I reassembled, cleared the code, and it has never come back in over a year.
Unread 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Kentman, exactly what pump is the error referring to?

Thanks.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Arkansas_WJ

P1495 (M)
Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit
An open or shorted condition detected in the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) solenoid circuit.

2000 WJ Limited - 4.7l, 4x4, pioneer HU w/ ipod interface, upgraded front calipers, yakima lowrider system, uniden cb w/ 4 ft firestick, 3.5" tweeter upgrade
Arkansas_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Yeah the additional code data is great ...however, I think the code information is not real specific and was hoping Kentman (or another with practical data) could elaborate.

Where is this pump, what does it do...detect leaks? ...of what?

The filter that may actually be at issue...what is it for and made of? How does it get cleaned?

The error means it found a leak ...or that it is no longer working, disconnected...etc.?

Thanks again in advance....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 09-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Since you have a WJ, and I have a ZJ, things are probably a little different. However, the general components should be roughly the same.

Below is a photo of the pump and filter for the ZJ.

I believe that the leak detection system is looking for leaks in gas vapor. Gas vapor leaks are not environmentally friendly.

The first thing that I would do is verify that your gas cap is on good and tight. Reset the code (either with a code reader or disconnection of the battery). If the code comes back after checking the cap, then you may want to look at the filter and the pump. They are pretty simple on the ZJ. I just washed the filter out with water. I took the pump apart and made sure that there were no parts that looked bound or broke. I reassembled the pump and ensured that all of the vapor lines were attached properly.

Also check that the electrical connections are good and free of debris.

After doing this and then clearing the code, the code never came back.

The filter looks just like a K&N type cone filter, only smaller.

The error means that there is something wrong with the leak detection system and not necessarily that there is a leak. If the system is not working, then you do not know whether you have a leak or not.

Tinker with it and see if you can find what is setting the code off. My tinkering resulted in the code disappearing permanently.

Talk to you later.
Unread 09-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Nice work Kentman. Thanks!!!
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
AzSun

Thanks Kentman! This is great info. I will try this during the weekend and post how it turned out. I agree this code, P1495, means the pump cannot work for whatever reason and therefore a leak in the system cannot be detected. I think code P1494 is the one for a faulty gas cap or other leak in the evaporator system.
AzSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Jarheadsjeep

That's some good info Kentman!!!.....How's the troll hunting going?
Jarheadsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Samuel2002

On my WJ the hose from the filter to the pump dry rotted and gave me the same code. I replaced the hose and erased the code, and it never came back.

Might want to inspect the hoses too while your working on it.

Good luck!
Samuel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

On a WJ is the location behind the left rear wheel well??
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
particalzman

Thanks Kentman!!! You rock I hadn't found enough information to start to track down the problem. For me what was wrong was that the small ridged vacuum line that runs from the intake straight down from the throttle. It has two small 90 vacuum nipples one one each end. The one that hooks to the engine had been getting worse and worse it got loose enough it popped off a time or two when I started it so replaced. You have to either go to dealer or the Help section at your local parts store. It was the 90 elbow at the bottom right behind the headlight on the drivers side. It was almost none existent and was not even hooked up. I took the new one off the engine and moved it down. FYI I forced the fresh air intake off without taking the air box loose. So if you have this code, and your elbow on the engine is bad I would plan on checking the second one too.

Thanks JEEPForum and all you jeepsters for all your info, input, and expertise!
particalzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.