Leak detection pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Leak detection pump

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Y2KGCLIM
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Leak detection pump

Well, i finally gave in and took my Jeep to do a smoke test to find out where the leak in my emmision control system was. From what they said it's the leak detection pump. I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find much. Anyone have to replace one? How difficult was it, and how much did it cost? One more question, could that be a reason for my terrible gas mileage? Any help is appreciated, as always!

2000 WJ Limited 4.7 QD. SOLD
Y2KGCLIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
wjcando
1999 WJ 

I found one that looked pretty new at a salvage yard. On a wj, that sucker is squeezed between the left headlight and the airbox. It was easy to get out of the donor because bumper, grill and other stuff were already gone.

Factory svc manual says the unit is removed/reinstalled by removing only the airbox first. Did that, plus pulled the headlamp out, plus my rig has no fender liners or washer bottle to get in the way. Even then, it was a PITA to remove the old one (using vise grips on the wrong side of the bolt, where the threads extend into the wheel well).

I've only been able to put back two of the three bolts (8mm hex head). The space is so tight, I just can't get to the bottom bolt. Anybody done this replacement before? If so, got any suggestions on technique and tool?

Last edited by wjcando; 08-12-2009 at 09:26 AM..
wjcando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.