lateral play on pitman arm (sector shaft bearings?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > lateral play on pitman arm (sector shaft bearings?)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
grantr
1995 ZJ 

lateral play on pitman arm (sector shaft bearings?)

hello everyone! --car in question is a 95 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 4.0 L

so i was looking over my steering because i and having a slight amount of drift when driving and theres a bit of slop in the steering wheel, and i noticed that if i wiggle the steering wheel while parked, there is a clunking sound. so i got under the car and had someone move the steering wheel and i noticed the sound is coming from the pitman arm. where the arm meets the shaft in the gear box, there is lateral motion corresponding with the clunking sound.

first of all i do not want to mis-diagnose. ive never messed with steering, but after some internet searching i think that it may be a bad sector shaft bearing (don't know if it would be upper or lower)?

so i want to fix this asap but cant decide if i rebuild or replace depending on what is actually wrong.

can the adjustment screw on the top of the gear box, in any way, effect lateral movement in the sector shaft? i adjusted it before reading up as much as i should have on it and tightened it about a quarter turn.

if im correct and it is one of the sector shaft bearings, would i absolutely have to drop the gear box to replace them? i know you can replace the seals from below the car and the bearings are visible when you do. i am only guessing but it looks like they may be held in with snap rings?

dont know what i should do....

any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks ahead of time!

ps here is a video (NOT ME) that is similar to my problem.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-UesulNfg

and here are some really good pictures of what im talking about, although it is a seal replacement job, not a bearing one... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...g-box-1088128/

grantr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Yes, if the bottom pitman shaft needle bearing (or the shaft itself) are worn, you'll get lateral play in the shaft. The adjustment screw mostly affects the up-and-down shaft movement, and only slightly affects the sideways movement.

I'd suggest taking the steering box off and pulling it apart on the bench. This way you can get everything right, otherwise you may end up damaging the seals and/or pitman shaft. You'd need to undo the pitman arm nut and the pitman arm while it's on the car, otherwise its really difficuilt. That's the hardest part, then you got to undo the fluid lines (crow's foot wrench, 15mm if I remember correctly) is helpful here. Then goes the 13mm bolt steering wheel shaft, and finally undo 3 frame rail bolts. Then it pretty much falls out, so be sure to catch it.

You could as well drop in a junkyard steering box for the time being. The bearing is held by the circlip from underneath and sometimes it has a bit of a flange on top that prevents it from falling through the bore.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-gear-1287958/
Unread 11-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
grantr
1995 ZJ 

ok, i have removed the sector shaft bearing, and it is indeed worn. now im having trouble locating a part. i can find plenty of steering gear rebuild kits online, but they all seem to have either thrust bearings or pinnion bearings instead of the sector shaft bearing. all i need is the bearing and 2 new seals. any help?
Unread 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
shaban
1996 ZJ 

For your reference, the steering box used is Saginaw 800, fairly common across a few older US vehicles

The bearing is BH2020 as far as I know, does not come in a kit usually.

Also there are 2 kinds of seal kits, too.

First got one two-piece seal, a dust seal, large washer and a circlip.
Second got 2 identical seals, 2 washers and a circlip. This one didn't fit my box
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

http://www.motionindustries.com/prod...p?sku=04507248

This wasn't it? I also believe the lipped bearing can be used in the 95 box but pm Smokey and make sure.
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
grantr
1995 ZJ 

thanks. the bearing i took out has a flared end like this: http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/...7-j4487154.jpg

one website said the bearing is a J4487154

the BH2020 doesnt seem to have a flared end though. will either work?
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
grantr
1995 ZJ 

coralman - thats the one, thanks!
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

ina-001r.jpg
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Strongly suggest you read the rebuild thread I posted above. I don't know that putting just this bearing and seals will last in the long run. Either way you will have to adjust the box before installing it or you will right back in the shape you are in . There are two adjustments. Plus,you can be assured that there is some bona fide nasty gunk laying in that box. I find it kinda odd that the 95 box has the lipped bearing,cause I think it should be the non lipped version. The number shaban gave you is a torrington number for the non lipped version. Kinda makes me think the box may have already been worked or you got the later version. Like I said PM Smokey1r.
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
grantr
1995 ZJ 

hey, i am reading through the rebuild thread.... are both of the 2 adjustments you are referring to made on the preload adjustor screw and nut?

thanks again!
Unread 11-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Nope, first adjustment is for thrust bearing preload (fully turn in the screw plug and back out 1/2 inch),
done at the input shaft side.
Second is for sector shaft preload (0.6-1 nm more torque when going over-center with beam
type torque wrench). Done at the pitman arm lid.
Unread 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
grantr
1995 ZJ 

i should mention that ive done all this (easily) without removing the box from the jeep. took the arm off, and pulled the sector shaft out and then the bearing. i hadnt thought about the thrust bearing preload. would this still be necessary?
Unread 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Well, I guess you could skip it, if it's too hard to do in place, it's up to you. It may influence the overall looseness though, but not the shaft side play.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.