(lack of) Oil Problem with my 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (lack of) Oil Problem with my 5.9

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

(lack of) Oil Problem with my 5.9

Well I changed the oil today... got a whopping quart and a half of tar-like oil out of the pan and filter. I added a quart last week when the oil pressure was occasionally dipping down, and then it stayed stable over 35PSI, the other day I noticed it dipping occasionally again. I figured I had the wrong dipstick since it had trouble going in, and I had consistent oil pressure. Well low and behold, I had been running my jeep with almost no oil in the engine.

5 quarts later, the oil pressure is consistently at 35 during idle (just like before), and goes to around 40-45 under load. There are no strange sounds coming from the engine (likewise there were no visible metal filings in the oil), just the ticking of the injectors.

My first question would be, do you think I did any damage to the engine? There was always oil pressure (except during hard turns), I never had a check gauges light, and never heard and still don't hear any sounds that would suggest the engine was or is starved of oil.

My second question would be, where the hell did all the oil go? The exhaust is crystal clear, the coolant appears clean (plus 4 quarts of oil don't disappear into the cooling system), there are no visible leaks, and there is no smoke from oil dripping onto the exhaust.

I am going to be monitoring oil consumption (if any) over the next 100 miles, I only put 800 on it since I got it (and had it inspected, screw that shop), and then am going to change it again (the oil in the pan is a bit dirty now after idling for 10 mins with whatever else had been sitting in there). Also, I had it checked over 2 weeks ago when I had it aligned and they claimed it was fine.

Thanks,

Mike

crazymjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Chances are it was left without changing for a LONG time before you got it. I would flush that engine REALLY well. Chances are, once you get the sludge and crap out, it will be fine.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

Well I'm going to flush it, but just with motor oil, run it about 100 miles between changes. I am hesitant to use any of that sludge buster because if there is sludge prevent anything from leaking, I don't necessarily want to free it up... Unless you think I should pour some seafoam into my crankcase.

Mike
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Pull your air hat off the throttle body and look down inside your intake manifold. If there's oil puddling up inside there, your intake needs to come off and you need to put a hughes plenum gasket fix on it.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

Roger. I wanted to clean of my IAC anyway, I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks.

Mike
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

dont use engine flusher, just change the oil and use a good filter like the purolator pure one.
what does a flush do, if it does any good at all?
it thins the oil out.

Engine oil today is much better than years ago. Used to be engines would be worn out at 70000 miles. I saw plenty of worn valve guides and deep ridges showing a lot of wear from the rings on the cylinder walls.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Pomorza
1996 ZJ 

I've never worked on a 5.9 personally but it is possible that you are leaking oil from the plenum gasket. It is entirely possible that you burned the oil while you drove, or leaked it out into the intake. Four quarts is a massive amount of oil loss so it had to go someplace. Take a look at the oil filter and housing. The O-rings on them tend to go after a while. As for damage. As long as there was "some" oil inside the engine and pressure was OK I don't think you damaged the engine much.

The best way that I've seen to get rid of sludge is to use ATF. Yes ATF. Exchange an entire quart of oil with ATF. Run the car for about 500 to 1000 miles and drain the oil. When you do you should take most if not all the sludge with it.

Hope this helps
Jan
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1-2 quarts of diesel fuel in the crank case as a substitute for an equal amount of oil, idle for a few minutes, then drain. repeat if necessary. diesel will not ignite with just engine heat or anything like that.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

Well... I have visable oil when looking down past the throttle body... So, whats involved in replacing the gasket (IE, taking the intake off)?

Mike
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
Well... I have visable oil when looking down past the throttle body... So, whats involved in replacing the gasket (IE, taking the intake off)?

Mike
yep, not too bad at all, I remove the front wheels and lower the front end to make it easier.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Oh come on! You guys are close to stock highth. I did my M1 intake upgrade at 5.5" of lift without lowering it.

five.nein, you must be real short.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

Ok. So I have read mixed things about whether or not I should just get a felpro gasket set, or get a Hughes set with new hardware and a new plenum. Is that over-kill?

I figure I'll do the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and thermostat(is there any reason to replace it with a 180 degree thermostat, or should I stay stock?), when I do this. Is there anything else that should be done when I have all this apart? Are there any good write-ups out there (I'm still searching).

Will I need any type of specialty tools? I heard something about needing to remove the fuel lines from the rail, what will I need for that?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by crazymjb; 05-07-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

without the aluminum plate it WILL fail again.

get the bypass hose too. fuel line disconnects are nice to have, but taking out the injectors and laying the whole rail and all to the side is acceptable as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

http://hughesengines.clients.nharmon...5&partid=23039

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...2&partid=22220

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...9&partid=23360

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=...228+11921+5755

Any recommendations for plugs and wires?

Mike
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
five.nein, you must be real short.
I tell ya man...it's a disease!
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.