KYB rear shocks won't fit! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KYB rear shocks won't fit!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
KCJeep
1996 ZJ 

KYB rear shocks won't fit!

So I bought a matching set of both front and rear KYB Excel-G/GR-2 for my 1996 ZJ. Fronts went on with little drama except they were a little shorter. Shorter than the stock that came out of the truck, but I made them fit.

So the rears are giving me more trouble. The lower portion of the new shock has what looks to be a permanent metal sleeve that you place the bolt through. The old shock does not have this piece. Well, that rod is too wide for the shackel. Its not like it's real close either, it's off by a good amount.

I got them from RockAuto and confirmed that they are the one spec'd for my GC. They are part number 344396.

Has anyone run into this before? What did you do?

I really don't want to have to send them back to Rock(if they will even take them back) if I can make them work.

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

will the bolt fit through the sleeve? if it does then just grind the sleeve to fit

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

How close is the bolt to the bushings through size? I'm betting they preinstalled a sleeve for a smaller bolt that is normally supposed to come in a plastic bag with the shock.

I just got a set of bilstiens and there wasn't a sleeve inside the bushing, but one was in the bag and the instructions stated to use it if I used some bolt size that I can't remember.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

My 4.5" Bilsteins I got off kolak were the same way, only one end fit the top stud in the rear, and the end that went down (body down) was like 1/16-1/8" too wide, I just took a huge crescent wrench and tightened it on each side of the brackets and bent them out just a bit. Did that enough to get the loop of the shock in it, and used a pointed punch to get it centered to get the bolt through. Tightened up the bolts and its been fine
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
ddb

I have the same issue on my 1997 ZJ. Same KYB shocks from RockAuto.com with the same fitment issue on the rear. The sleeve in the bottom of the shock is just a tad too wide to fit in the shackle.

Before I attempt to modify the sleeve or the shackle I would like to know how the OP resolved his issue (I sent him a PM but haven't yet heard back). I'm willing to send the rear shocks back but from all of the online resources that I have checked they appear to be the correct shocks.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you resolve it? I just want to know all of my options before making a decision.

Thanks,

ddb
shocks800.jpg  
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.