Kolak lift should come in this week, got a question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Kolak lift should come in this week, got a question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

Kolak lift should come in this week, got a question

As stated above, I ordered the lift from Kolak a couple weeks ago and it should be in this week. Ended up getting the 4.5 inch premium lift with adjustable ca's and bilsteins.I got tracking on the shocks, says they'll be here today. I'm so excited.
Now I'm pretty sure ill need extended brake lines and maybe a steering stabilizer. Ujoints were already in it when I got the vehicle so I'm good there also. Is there any more recommendations for this lift?

97ZJ_FOORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
You will probably need a new drive shaft if you have a cv type. Longer sway links. Your rear brake line may still work. Get 1994 chevy 1/2 ton front brake lines for the front. They are cheap and LONG. Im sure Kolak supplied you with a front track bar right? If not get an adjustable

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

Yeah man, its the IRO premium lift. It includes front and rear trackbars, coils,shocks, extended swaybar links, and their adjustable control arms upper and lower front rear and all the hardware/ bushings I think.
I'm just trying to get all my ducks lined up in a row so I can do it within a weekend
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
should be about set, you may want some wheel spacers or different backspaced wheels depending on what tire youre running

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Go buy a big can of PB Blaster and start soaking every single bolt once a day. You'll have a much better time come the weekend.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can get away with the stock brake lines temporarily if you unbolt the bracket and let them hang. I "temporarily" did that with my 95 at 4.5" but I just kind of left it like that
For a piece of mind I would look into some YJ brake lines or similar.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Go buy a big can of PB Blaster and start soaking every single bolt once a day. You'll have a much better time come the weekend.
x2
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
MilanJeep

You don't need brake lines with short arms and 4.5" lift. Just unbolt the bracket it will be fine.

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanJeep View Post
You don't need brake lines with short arms and 4.5" lift. Just unbolt the bracket it will be fine.
If you really wheel it then this is not necessarily true. I was at 4.25" with the lines unbolted with 32s stuffed passenger side and crimped the hard line where it leaves the engine bay on the driver side at full droop full lock turned passenger
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
zjgil
1998 ZJ 

Could you support them or attach them somewhere at the lowest drooping points So maybe that wouldn't happen? And I'm probably going to be getting the exact set up as you but with out the upgraded shocks want I wanna know is, with the adjustable arms, would that satisfy the pinion angles and allow me to not have to buy a new drive shaft or u joints or will the joint more than likely still break while wheelin?
zjgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjgil View Post
Could you support them or attach them somewhere at the lowest drooping points So maybe that wouldn't happen? And I'm probably going to be getting the exact set up as you but with out the upgraded shocks want I wanna know is, with the adjustable arms, would that satisfy the pinion angles and allow me to not have to buy a new drive shaft or u joints or will the joint more than likely still break while wheelin?
Having adjustable arms doesn't have anything to do with a CV drive shaft. The arms will let you get the pinion angle right but the CV shaft will still break. It can't move in or out like the U joint shaft can to make up for articulation when you have the sway bar disconnected. It just pulls apart and flops around like a wobbly turd.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

Got my bilsteins today, now I'm just waiting on the rest of the lift. They sent the shocks compressed with a strap around them but on of the straps came off during transit. Luckily my dad can restrap it up at work. He said you install the shock and then cut the tie to let em decompress.
I'll take pics in the morning. These things are pretty sweet.

Edit:
If I needed a driveshaft what could I take it out of? Or do I need a custom one made? And for brake line could I just go to like AutoZone and pick some up from a different vehicle that will fit?
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just take out your current front drive shaft and measure it. Then go to the junk yard and find a u jointed rive shaft that is about the same length. You will need the yoke that goes with it for the diff. I have a shop do mine for about 110 bucks. I over enthusiastically cut the straps that came on my shocks. I just compressed them by hand when I installed them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.