Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Kolak Exhaust Problem

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  nashmd454 
#1 ·
Nobody will install my kolak exhaust everyone says it wont fit and every shop I have been to says it wont fit in different parts. Some shops say they cant bend 2.5" pipe to fit past the bellhouseing, others say they can fit 2.5" pipe over the crossmember, and the last place I went to (Highly Recomened custome exhaust shop recomended by everyone), said the tail pipe bends are incorrect and will not fit over the sway bar and around the gas tank.

#7 ·
I have contacted him still not sure what I am going to do. I might just clamp it up myself and have someone weld it once it is in. I cant really hold it up there to see if it fits with out taking the old one off. Looks like it should though. the whole thing has been a real PITA. They setup is for sale, or I might return it, really not sure what to do.

#8 ·
how about a picture.. im sure you can visually match it up somehow to see if the bends are correct.

#9 ·
Well yeah visually it looks perfect but very offten there is a big difference between it visually working and actuly working.

#11 ·
I have the 3 inch version on my 96, but it does hit in one or two places. Definitely hits the track bar, but I wasn't the one who got it put on. When I asked a guy I know about it, he said it was to tight for 3 inch. IMO it just needs to be installed correctly by someone confident that they can do it.

#12 ·
sory to hear of your problem...I have a 3" from Kolak and I almost had the same problem but went to a different place and he had no problem what so ever. The only place I have hit was when I bottomed out on the axle plaing around in a lake and mud.

#13 ·
The short section of the tailpipe is left purposely long to account for variations from vehicle-to-vehicle. I mentioned that to you via PM.

We sell hundreds of these systems yearly. There's no variations from tailpipe to tailpipe so I know it's correct. As I mentioned to you via PM, this is failure of imagination - they obviously aren't taking even a little time to give some thought as to what might be necessary. Funny how most shops have an instantaneous grasp on the procedure but there are others who don't seem to get it. The fact that they told you they couldn't fab a new downpipe for you because there's not adequate clearance is very telling. We're talking about going from 2.25" to 2.5". That's an increase of 1/4" or just 1/8" in radius. So they're trying to claim that there's not 1/8" of extra clearance? How absurd is that?

I've had problems like this before and on every occasion when I've spoken with the installer he got a grasp of it in no time flat. Feel free to have your shop call me and I'll give them the rundown.

#14 ·
micifus said:
I have contacted him still not sure what I am going to do. I might just clamp it up myself and have someone weld it once it is in. I cant really hold it up there to see if it fits with out taking the old one off. Looks like it should though. the whole thing has been a real PITA. They setup is for sale, or I might return it, really not sure what to do.
That's another thing -- they obviously didn't remove the old system first so how on earth did they check fitment?

#16 ·
micifus said:
yes you are 100% correct, thanks for the call to night your customer service is outstanding!
that is why so many on here recommend him...he knows what he is talking about and would never cheat us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.