Kody's ZJ Build/Redo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Kody's ZJ Build/Redo

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Kody's ZJ Build/Redo

Alright everybody, i thought now was as good a time as ever to start a thread for my ZJ. I actually started this in the "Builds" section of the forum but I thought since its going to be a pretty mild build at least for a little while, id keep it in our zj section. For now, I don't really think it's worthy of a thread in the build section, so hopefully some of you other zj owners will appreciate it.

I've been a part of the forum for a little while, don't post a lot, usually just keep to myself and silently crawl through the threads. So hopefully this thread will change that. I don't really personally know anyone on the forum and id like to that to change too.

First off, some basic info about myself and jeep. From southern Indiana, graduated last year, currently not in college, and i work at an italian restaurant here in town. I inherited the ZJ my junior year of high school from my step dad, it had been sitting for about 4 or 5 years.

Some basic info on the ZJ

-Laredo
-42RE
-231 TC

I did some basic maintenance, some sensor replacement, filters, fluids, and an ignition system tune up and it was back to running and driving.

Soon after that I opted for cheap and quick, so 3.5" RC lift, and 31s it was. And an obnoxiously loud cherry bomb glass pack.

I've had a lot of fun in the jeep, and its held up pretty well but ive always had a lot of big plans for it and I finally freed up some money by selling my other car and atv.

The 5.5" Long arm kit from IRO and 33s is the final goal for it. I could've bought them both recently but with some problems I started to have with the zj, I thought it would be a better idea to sort out any problems and replace everything that could use replacing on the jeep before I shell out the cash for a lift and tires when its not sound and ready.

Basic Plans to Start Out

* Transmission rebuild. I've noticed a whole lot of slipping, loss of torque, and extreme shuddering under moderate acceleration/shifting. I've done the tv cable adjustment countless times and it just cant be the issue at point. Fluid and filter are new, at correct level, and no leaks. I've ordered a master rebuild kit, hopefully that takes care of it. Hopefully the pump/piston etc. is all in good shape.

*Transfer case isn't wanting to be shifted into 4low, and likes to kick itself out of part time. my linkage is in pretty bad shape so ive got the replacement and im sure it could use an adjustment as well. but while the tranny is out, I may pull the 231 out as well to do some looking at. and perhaps a rebuild if I think it may be needed. just to be safe

*Headliner is sagging, this makes me incredibly angry. this is something im dreading but ill do it eventually when I cant afford to do something more worth while and I need something to do.

*Ive got some pretty interesting wiring issues to address as well, again something im dreading

*Carpet replacement. The ZJs carpet has seen water and muddy boots one too many times, something im actually looking forward to doing. Either a vinyl flooring substitute or monstaliner, something to do when it gets warmer.

*Headlights are pretty nasty, cracked, and full of water. Just a basic replacement.

* Brakes, again just a basic replacement.

* Build some half doors or quick releases for the front doors

*Tube Bumpers(and winch)- Pretty much ready to start these within the next month. Design process is pretty far along, ive just gotta get the steel

*Front and rear axle swaps. maybe an 8.8 in the rear and for the front???

*Bushings, Bushings, Bushings. There are quite a few on my jeep they could use replacing. just dried out, beat up, cracked and rotted.

*Unibody stiffeners- TNT makes some and this seems like a great idea, anyone used these?

*Skids/rock sliders- something else ill be fabricating on my own, this is something that will be done sooner than later.

*Exhaust- something ill probably grab from IRO with the muffler and high flow cat. something to replace the cherry bomb.

*As far as the lift/steering parts/other suspension parts go, even though it may be more expensive in the long run, ill probably be buying this piece by piece. starting with the IRO double shear track bar, Over the knuckle steering, etc.. and then getting to the coils and long arms and such.

*Im sure there will be more things I think of doing and some more basic maintenance ill have to perform that ill try to keep track of on here

Im somewhat mechanically inclined, I understand basic principles. And my dads been a mechanic his entire life so ill have some help there. But hopefully some of you can share some of your knowledge with me. and give me some help when I need it.

I know for a little while it'll be a pretty mild buildup/redo but hopefully someone will enjoy it, or find it interesting/useful.

Ill throw in a couple pics of the jeep at the bottom as it sits now

I appreciate the views and future comments!

img_0913.jpg   img_0047.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Well this is a quick second post for me but brown santa just stopped by! First goodies have arrived!

Heres the rebuild kit for the 42re, including everything Ill need(hopefully) besides fluid and seals. in the box ive got, senseors, bands, gaskets, clutch packs, and a new filter
img_1718.jpg

img_1719.jpg

img_1720.jpg

img_1721.jpg

img_1722.jpg

img_1723.jpg

img_1724.jpg

Unread 02-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

And another drop off, from summit this time. Half of my pads and rotors, didn't open up the box since we all know what pads and rotors look like
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

nothing better than brown boxes with your name on em!
img_1725.jpg

Unread 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Ill start pulling the transmission after work tomorrow and ill be sure to upload some pictures tomorrow night!
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Cool Jeep, looks a lot like mine! You can see the IRO OTK kit you mentioned in this video. So far I've been happy with it, but I need to put my shorter drop pitman back on and it seems to be designed for long arm setups. It is definitely solid.

Unread 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Grab an HP30 for the front axle.
Why dont you make your unibody stiffeners? Youd save money

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Thanks radean! I've actually seen quite a few of your YouTube videos. I might be a subscriber but i can't remember lol. So you're pretty satisfied with the OTK? is it a noticeable improvement over stock? I think it'll be the next thing I pick up.
Unread 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Riot, the hp30 is the high pinion d30, correct? Can find them in XJs, right? And I had given it some thought, we've made bumpers and skids before, I'll look into fabricating the stiffeners. Just something I've never done before, so I thought buying aftermarket may be the way to go.
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Hey whats in the box it says 4:20
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodybonham View Post
Thanks radean! I've actually seen quite a few of your YouTube videos. I might be a subscriber but i can't remember lol. So you're pretty satisfied with the OTK? is it a noticeable improvement over stock? I think it'll be the next thing I pick up.
Yes, noticeable improvement for sure, especially with big tires. Also would recommend you get a steering box brace even if you don't go for bigger tires. The OTK kit and brace solved all of my steering issues but I still need to beef up the track bar mount on the front axle because that was creating a steering slop issue for me too.
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

I was wondering the same thing xcaliber, I haven't opened it so hopefully its just brakes and nothing 420 related haha!
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
kodybonham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post
Yes, noticeable improvement for sure, especially with big tires. Also would recommend you get a steering box brace even if you don't go for bigger tires. The OTK kit and brace solved all of my steering issues but I still need to beef up the track bar mount on the front axle because that was creating a steering slop issue for me too.
Where did you get your steering box brace at? through IRO? And yeah im having the same slop problem, ive got some pretty nasty worn out bushings up front as well. im gonna do the HD tie rods, track bars, etc from IRO
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Riot, the hp30 is the high pinion d30, correct? Can find them in XJs, right? And I had given it some thought, we've made bumpers and skids before, I'll look into fabricating the stiffeners. Just something I've never done before, so I thought buying aftermarket may be the way to go.
Yes. Grab one from a later model xj, the housing is better and they wont have the CAD crap to deal with

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Where did you get your steering box brace at?
Got a cheap one from a guy on eBay. It definitely got the job done and fit like a glove. I think the auction is over but if you hit him up he can probably hook you up with one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=321271003487

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.