"Knock" or "Clunk" coming from my rear right... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Knock" or "Clunk" coming from my rear right...

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
amefford
1998 ZJ 

"Knock" or "Clunk" coming from my rear right...

Whenever I drive over a bump, I hear a clunk or knock coming from my right rear. Ive heard it could be brakes, cat, exhaust hangers, O2 sensor, and heat shields. But, I wanted to know if someone else actually knows what it is? I have the 5.2 V8, I dont think it could be the exhaust, I had the shop recheck the welds on my new pipe, cat, and glass-pack. The cat is still original though...

amefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

climb under there and look for loose stuff. there is no other way to diagnose a clunk. get to it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

i used to have the same noise. it ended up being the tailpipe where it goes up over the axle it was hitting the the trackbar and the gas tank skid

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Shock bushings , or control arm bushings . More details please , is it only noticed on bumps ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem, a right rear clunk noticed only on bumps. I looked over both the shock and control arm bushings, and did not see any problems. My RE super ride control arms are only one season old, so the bushings should be good. I was thinking it is either exhaust or maybe the spring. Maybe I need a new spring isolator between the spring and the frame?

Other ideas?
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologc46 View Post
I have the same problem, a right rear clunk noticed only on bumps. I looked over both the shock and control arm bushings, and did not see any problems. My RE super ride control arms are only one season old, so the bushings should be good. I was thinking it is either exhaust or maybe the spring. Maybe I need a new spring isolator between the spring and the frame?

Other ideas?
The upper RE arms could still be in question . Depending on when they were made , they may have the "bad" bushings that RE has offered free replacement on .

CA bushings's
track bar bushings
shock rubbers
make sure the springs aren't catching on the bump stops
loose parts like exhaust

Not much else back there
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I already had to replace the front upper bushings. Those blew out in less than one season and were definitely from the bad batch of RE rubber bushings. I *had* super ride front uppers, super flex rear uppers. When the front uppers blew out, I got some new rubber bushings, and bought some new flex uppers. I put in the flex uppers first, and find those are just fine for me. I will leave those in there, since front control arms are a major PITA to remove and reinstall.

The rear uppers I installed are ball joint, super flex, type control arms. I looked at all the rubber end bushings and did not see any problems, but then, sometimes a simple visual inspection will not reveal that a bushing is blown out.

Thanks for the list, I will run through all of them and look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
The upper RE arms could still be in question . Depending on when they were made , they may have the "bad" bushings that RE has offered free replacement on .

CA bushings's
track bar bushings
shock rubbers
make sure the springs aren't catching on the bump stops
loose parts like exhaust

Not much else back there

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.