kmk108 98ZJ build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > kmk108 98ZJ build thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

kmk108 98ZJ build thread

Mines not totally stock anymore.
So far I have:
Cragar Soft 8's
BF Goodrich A/T's 31x10.5
Baja Driving Lights mounted on my bumper
Added Tow Hooks
Flowmaster Super 40 muffler
20% tint all around
Alpine Head Unit
Rockford Fosgate speakers
Cobra CB radio
Firestik 2' Antenna with spring
I had 2 Sony subs in, but I just sold them

I just bought an IRO 3.5" lift kit. It better be awesome because I just sold my Epiphone Les Paul to get it. I loved the guitar, but I have two...So I thought a lift would be better than having two guitars.

In the future, I'm going to get:
Rear Adjustable track bar
Steering Stabilizer
JKS Quicker Disconnects
a Heavy Duty Tie Rod
QuickAir deflators
11 gallon air tank
Window Deflectors
Back seat rubber mats
cargo rubber mats
OH and a soft 8 spare

Before the Soft 8's

After the Soft 8's. I had to do some trimming on the inside of the front bumper. It's barely noticeable

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
1997TSi
1997 ZJ 

Good start man! you will LOVE the IRO 3.5. did you get a adj. rear trac bar? i just installed this lift a week ago and i love it. put pics up as soon as you put it on!

2006 Honda CBR 600 [/FONT]
1997TSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I haven't gotten an adjustable trac bar yet. I didn't have enough money after paying for the lift. It will be the next mod ASAP. I was going to get the JKS quicker disconnects, but I don't articulate too too much, so it isn't as important as the trac bar.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
1997TSi
1997 ZJ 

well good luck with everything, and i have been running mine without the new rear trac bar for a couple weeks becuse i couldnt get the old one off, so until i have time to bring it to the guys at IRO to get them to do it for me, the new rear trac bar is sitting on my bedroom floor hah

2006 Honda CBR 600 [/FONT]
1997TSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I have the lift now, and I would be lifting my jeep now, but I got the flu while I was on vacation. So I'm sitting in my living room staring at the parts and drooling until I get better and can put it on

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I spent all of yesterday doing the lift. I should have known better than to do it on a sunday because nothing ever goes right when my dad and i work on something.

I am having trouble getting the sway bar links off of the sway bar. My dad is sending me to the auto parts store to see if I can rent a tie rod end puller/remover.

We had trouble getting the springs on with the spring compressor and had to remove the lower control arms to get them on.

I think IRO shorted me on a brushing sleeve for the sway bar link. I'm going to hope the OEM sleeves will fit in.

I am almost done with the front end. I just need to get the links off, put the new ones on, put the track bar on, put the shocks on and I think i'm done...damnnn.

THEN on to the rear which I will wait till next weekend to do. I was really wanting to wheel next weekend

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Just like with every other project I do, The lift kit has been full of problems. I finished the front end without any extra problems and I was excited to do the back (Is it bad to be excited just so everything will be over with?). I took a short test drive around and nothing seemed bad. Nothing that wont be fixed with the alignment.

Next I took on the back. Everything was going well and I was really happy. I've had to disconnect the control arms to get all of the springs on so far. I loosened up the control arm bolts and ran into my first problem. My driver's side lower control arm bolt won't budge. I loosened all other bolts and started to put the spring on the passenger side. I got the spring on and was ready to reconnect the control arm. PROBLEM. The hole in the control arm won't line up with the bracket so I can't get the bolt through the control arm. We've been working, trying to get the arm to line up for about 3 hours now. So now I'm stuck and can't do anything else because on one side I can't get a bolt loose and the other side I can't get the bolt back in. I'm frustrated and we've quit for today. My dad has other things to work on and I need his help.

We're going to let the bolt sit for the night after we sprayed it with lubricant.

Nothing ever goes right when I work on something and I'm now into my second weekend of working on my lift. I haven't had a vehicle for a week now and I'm worried it's going to end up being two.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

ive been in that position before, it sucks not having stuff go according to plan and then not have your vehicle. but my advice is relax and dont do something stupid. it always turns into just another headache. even if it took you a month to get it on the road, you know the second u put your foot up, and it lands on the floor your gonna have a giant smile on your face. so its all worth it in the end.

but anyway...... are you trying to line up your CA with the axle off the ground? cause if you are it aint gonna happen. im pretty sure your gonna have to drop it down on the tires to line it back up again. and what tools are you using to do this? when i did mine it was enough of a PITA that i went and bought a compressor. good money spent right there. but be careful with that stuck bolt, and use a lil bit of heat. that way your not stuck with a lift to install and a busted off bolt as well
1997ddzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
ben98zj
1998 ZJ 

I just installed my lift last week. I had all kinds of problems lining up the CA. eventually took shocks, springs, tb, and wheels all off. supported it in the mid rear ,droped the axle, and used a pully to pull th axle to line up. some bolts required a rope and some old fasion pulling to get them in. Just watch your brake lines. As for the stuck bolt I would spray a lot of WD40 on it and let it sit. I started spraying all my bolts a week before I started. hope this helps
ben98zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Clean jeep. Any pictures of the install for the lift?
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

IT'S DONE!!! this morning, the stuck bolt worked...all right, so I put the spring on that side. I noticed that the control arm alignment was easier with the spring compressed. So I compressed the other side and it worked. With that solved, everything else went smoothly and I'm done. I don't have any pics of the actual install, but I will get pics of it with the lift on later.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Any DW? That was a killer for me.
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

There's a lot, but I don't have my sway bar hooked up and also I still need an alignment. So I can't tell yet if there is any from the actual lift. When I got the lift, IRO only sent me 3 bushing sleeves for the sway bar links in the front so I need another. I tried using the stock sleeve but it didn't perfectly fit. I also tried my own disconnect and during the first test drive, one fell off and the whole Bushing came out, so I need to get a bushing and bushing sleeve from IRO and then I will officially be done with the lift.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

As promised, here are pictures
Before:

After:

There is a tiny bit of sag in the back, but the front springs do need to settle in. I was thinking about buying black diamonds instead of getting the RC, but I didn't and I'm thinking that maybe i should have. I just think it's too early to tell. I've driven it once out of the neighborhood and today I'm going to get it aligned at Firestone with their lifetime alignment. If there is any change when I install the sway bar links, I'll just take it back.

After lifting and feeling the stiffer ride, I know that I need to get some sound dampening mat in my hatch. It was something that would rattle a little bit, but now whenever I hit a bump, it's very noticeable.

Overall, I'm happy with it and can't wait to take it wheeling. Hopefully I can get it out next weekend.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Sits real nice, sway bar links shouldn't affect alignment.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.