KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #121
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

In other news, I replaced the shifter handle with a leather wrapped niner one I got from the JY, the PO had destroyed the leather on the original.

I put the trans in 1st to do that, and the shift cable came off the trans! I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start until I realized the shift handle was moving easier than normal. Looked underneath and sure enough the trans was in first and the cable was in the air. I've no idea why the shifter isn't indexing properly. I checked the cable adjustment and it seems to be spot on.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #122
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The rear passenger door has had a busted up lock since I got the thing. Some gift from the PO. I assumed the lock/latch mechanism was busted and picked one up at the JY.

Since that means taking the door panel off it's time for MOAR PLASTIDIP!!!!!1!!
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Usual fare for turning the fake wood gunmetal grey.
niner-build-1-2.jpg
niner-build-1-3.jpg

To my surprise the latch wasn't broken at all. The rod that connects the lock slider on the interior handle was bent out of shape. Bend it back into place and it locks and travels just like new. I'm guessing that the glass installer bent the rod out of shape when the window was replaced.
niner-build-1-4.jpg

Dip on the hood louvers needed to be redone, I was in too much of a hurry and didn't understand plastidip very well when I did them the first time.
niner-build-1-5.jpg
niner-build-1-6.jpg

The key to good dip as I've found is to keep the can slightly above room temperature (not garage temperature). To this end I've come up with the 500W dip heater.
niner-build-1-7.jpg

Also on the dip list was the new t-case shifter bezel I got at the JY. PO had broken the original.
niner-build-1-8.jpg

New lamps and bezel installed, it's starting to look clean and well kept again.
niner-build-1-9.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #123
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Vacuum that carpet! Lol!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #124
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #125
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

Unread 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #126
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The drivers door on the niner has that infamous ZJ sag. YAGFTP (yet another gift from the PO) The green one hasn't sagged a door in it's life. Just what the hell to people do to these things?

The upper hinger bushings were very noticeably shot to hell.
niner-build-2-1.jpg

So it's party time again!
niner-build-2-2.jpg

The lower bushings looked fine and had minimal play.
niner-build-2-3.jpg

Upper, not so much.
niner-build-2-4.jpg

I used the factory mopar bushings and pin instead of the dorman aftermarket ones. The bushings are like $9 a pop from the dealership and you need two. The pin is like $14. It's seriously worth it. The factory bushings are stamped steel with an inner coating of a teflon like plastic. I've heard of the cheapy brass bushings dying after 6 months, but the original ones are still going strong in the green one.
niner-build-2-5.jpg

The pin is slightly larger at the end and needs to be press fit into the hinge.
niner-build-2-6.jpg

I tried a hammer but the c-clamp works much better. Once pressed in, the pin isn't going anywhere. The other end has a point in it to enable the end to be reformed and prevent the pin from falling out, but I'm not worried.
niner-build-2-7.jpg

Huge difference in the door. I'm always amazed when the little things make such an impact but they really do. I'm also a little surprised at how easy it is to remove and attach the door on this thing. The 96+ ZJ's don't need a screwdriver to take apart the door connector. I think I see half doors in the green one's future.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #127
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

I think you are one step ahead of me on most of these repairs ... but a few have caught me off guard ... I was just looking on line for the bushing kit ...
But now I think i'll hit the dealer and do the factory pin bush set ....

Great thread ... thanks ...
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #128
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Alright!

Today the tax man cometh and put some shiny nickels in my pocketbook. On friday I'll be getting my first paycheck since October.

So it's time to get this heap back in shape. Already ordered new front CA's to clean up the ride (pass side lower is a bent one I took off the trail jeep). Also on order is a new blower motor controller and motor to end my parasitic drain woes and give me back AC (which I need in march in cali ). Also threw some sheckles at a fellow JF'er to get me some UC coils.

More to come!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #129
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Now maybe we'll see you on a run soon?

Unread 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #130
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that cup holder insert lol.
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #131
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Pile o' parts. Should have coils by friday. Gonna be nice.
miner-build-0-1-.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #132
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

And the Upcountry springs courtesy of tucsonzj are here!

Now if only I had a niner! My shop manager traded me her 3 pedal civic so she could pick up lumber.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #133
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #134
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Well half the UC springs are here, the front half is taking a scenic tour of CA.
springs-shipping.png

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #135
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I actually drove the niner yesterday. My shop manager has had it for near two weeks now, and I've been driving the green thing, her 3 pedal civic, and a 14' box truck.

The box truck is better than the niner.

I dunno, I've got a nice pile of parts on the bench waiting to go into the thing, but every time I drive something else and then drive it I feel like I should scrap it. There's just so much wrong, so much broken. A lot of it I can fix, some I can't, some I don't know if it is fixable. Other than the engine I haven't dropped that much into it that I couldn't rip out (radio, stereo). I'd really like to find a good shell or similar and build one nice niner, I don't want to dump money into something I'm gonna keep hating.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.