KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #76
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Tore down the rest of the electrical. Went fuse by fuse in the PDC.

This is with the BCM disabled. 700mA of draw.
niner-build-3-1.jpg

Pulled the fuse for the blower motor and everything goes away. The ****? I just replaced that damn controller. But the fluke don't lie.
niner-build-3-2.jpg

0.02mA is something I can live with. So for now I have no heating or AC. Seat warmers will have to be good enough, and passengers can suck it, because only the driver side works.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #77
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

nice thread .. I am new here and just picked up a stone white niner here in the valley two months ago ... have found a lot of the same issues ..

But you have enlightened me to a few other things i should expect

.. also the old misery loves company thing ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #78
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Trying to keep busy with this without spending much $$. Finally getting around to the little interior things that have been bugging me. Had the radio I pulled out of the acura and after thinking about control head placement for a few days it was time to bite the bullet and throw the sucker in. The radio is a Yaesu FT-8800 which is an amateur radio 2m/440 dual band radio.
niner-build-1-2.jpg

Thats the radio without the control head attached. I drove around with the control head in the cup holder for a few days and played with positions for it. I really like where I have the control head mounted in the green one, but the niner has a sunroof so thats not gonna work. I really wish they hadn't made the sunroof standard. In addition to leaking and being a temperamental pain in the *** it lowers the headliner enough that my head just barely touches.

First task for the install is power. The smaller radios only put out about 50W on transmit and have pretty low receive current, so I don't have a problem running it off the back of the cigarette lighter. Simple switch power. For the big radio in the green one I use the switch plug to trigger a relay but thats overkill for the little 2m rig. Of course getting to the back of the cigarette plug in this thing is an adventure in itself. So the interior rather quickly looks like this.
niner-build-1-4.jpg

While I had the whole dash apart I figured I'd pull the vic and see if I could put an end to the incessant "cooling sensor bad" message. They take a lot of flack on the forum but I rather like the vic. It makes for a more complete picture of just what the ZJ was for its time. Nostalgia aside my jeep leaks like an excited chihuahua so it's nice to know when I have to fill it up again. Vic removed.
niner-build-1-5.jpg

Here are the two boards that make up the vic, the part we're interested in is the board side of the connector on the back of the vic. These jeeps have bad solder joints all over the place (see also headlight switch) and after time and vibration the joints can fail or become intermittent.
niner-build-1-6.jpg

The bad joints can be hard to see by eye, a magnifying glass helps a bit. I found a few bad joints but I resoldered all of them anyway. Here is one of the bad joints I did find.
niner-build-1-7.jpg

Put the thing back together, say a little prayer and the coolant sensor bad message should be a thing of the past. I tacked two power feeds onto the back of the switched cigarette plug. One will go to the radio under the back seat, the other will go to the center console as an aux power feed. I'm using good quality 14 gauge red and black cable. Connectors at the end will be anderson powerpole.
niner-build-1-8.jpg

The control head for the radio got mounted on the far left of the dash. It's close enough to the steering wheel that I can adjust things without too much movement away from the wheel.
niner-build-1-9.jpg

From the driver view the right side of the display is blocked by the wheel but I don't have a problem with that. The FT-880 is a dual receive radio so it can listen to two frequencies at once. One is displayed on the left the other on the right, with volume and squelch knobs for each. I tend to use the left side for primary and the right as secondary so I'm rarely transmitting on the right side.
niner-build-1-10.jpg

Quick shot of the power connector in the center console. This will be for temporary accessories like HT charge cables or inverters. The anderson power pole connectors have become the standard for radios and emergency communications gear, so almost all of my gear has those connectors.
niner-build-1-12.jpg

And here is the radio in its new home on top of the power amp. I don't get much interference between the two, just a slight thump when I transmit. I think that should be correctable with a ferrite bead.
niner-build-1-13.jpg

I haven't figured out what I want to do for a final antenna yet. So for now I have a spare mag mount on the back of the roof. I'm trying to keep the clean lines of the niner and build for looks as well as function. In the green one I have the two 2m/440 antennas mounted on NMO mounts that are drilled through the roof up front. There isn't really room to do the same thing in the niner with the sunroof. The green one has two antennas up there so it has a somewhat balanced look, I don't think the niner would look as good with just one. I looked at using the hole in the fender for the FM/AM antenna to mount the antenna, I never listen to broadcast radio anyway, but the design of the mount makes it a now go, would be a lot of machining to repurpose the original mount for my purposes. Oh well, always another little thing.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #79
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

While I was tearing the dash apart I got some paint done. Dipped the front jeep badge gun metal gray to match the hood louvers.
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Also dipped a set of the wood trim pieces I pulled from a JY to see if I like the gray in the interior.
niner-build-1-3.jpg

Here's the trim installed.
niner-build-1-11.jpg

Also ran the ipod cable into the glovebox since I had the dash apart.
niner-build-1-14.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #80
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Finished up the painting of the fake wood trim pieces today. Pulled the doors apart hoping that the trim was screwed on like it is on the glovebox, but no such luck. The entire door is plastic welded together so there is no good way to remove the wood trim for paint. The plastidip is still reversible enough if I want it back to stock, but the trim on the drivers door has had a hard life and is showing its age.
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Also pulled out the shift bezel to dip it. I replaced the wood one that the PO had destroyed with the basic black one a while back, now it will match the rest of the trim,
niner-build-1-2.jpg

Driver and passenger doors prepped for paint. There was enough flex in the trim piece to slip a piece of paper between the trim piece and the leather which made the masking extremely easy. The rest is just covering everything up and then doing a wipe down of the trim piece with rubbing alcohol to prep it to take paint.
niner-build-1-3.jpg
niner-build-1-4.jpg

Paint dry, pulling masking off.
niner-build-1-5.jpg

And installed in the doors.
niner-build-1-6.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #81
jeepjeepster

I love threads like this. Someone taking some awesome that wasnt taken care of and fixing it back up.

How the heck did your friend drive in first gear for 5 miles? Did the screaming engine not tip him off? Just curious???

Also, why doesnt your passenger door have a lock switch? In the pic on page 3 where you showed the missing window switch, mine has a door lock switch under the window switch??

Hope ya find a job!
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #82
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I like that gunmetal a lot more than the brushed aluminum I did. The aluminum was too much contrast.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #83
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
I love threads like this. Someone taking some awesome that wasnt taken care of and fixing it back up.

How the heck did your friend drive in first gear for 5 miles? Did the screaming engine not tip him off? Just curious???

Also, why doesnt your passenger door have a lock switch? In the pic on page 3 where you showed the missing window switch, mine has a door lock switch under the window switch??

Hope ya find a job!
The pic is of the rear passenger door. I will never know how/why he got the thing down the highway in first. I've stopped trying to make sense of the whole thing. Having to follow the thing on the tow truck for the 90 mile drive home was penance enough, now he has a new nickname (magnumslayer) and I have a story.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #84
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

your thread sir is inspiring ... I have had my niner w/ 165k for a few months now and did the solenoid/governor in the trany, new trac bar and now getting a lot of ideas from you ...

thanks for the detailed pics and descriptions ...
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #85
jeepjeepster

Gotcha, missed the part on the back door.

Very curious how that front wheel came off. Did the threads strip? Hard to tell from the pics. Think it was over tightened several times? Ive only seen all the studs shear off when a wheel falls off like that.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #86
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Th lug nuts disappeared and were never seen again. I think they were over tightened too many times and the threads wore loose, there was still bits of thread in the studs afterwards.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #87
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

Did I mention I'm bored?

Took the throttle body off to clean the IAC, because cleaning **** is free, and I'm out of grey plastidip. Add the IAC and the tb to the "not as bad as I thought" category. Plenty of gunk, but I was expecting worse.
niner-build-2-1.jpg

Throttle body was really pretty good actually, the only part that was obviously dirty was the IAC housing and the MAP input.
niner-build-2-2.jpg
niner-build-2-3.jpg

With the throttle body off I got a good look at the plenum pan. Color me unimpressed. I know the plenum is bad on both jeeps, I know that's one of the reasons they use oil. I didn't think it was that bad. So two for the "not as bad" side and one for the "worse", thats coming out positive for the day right? Kicking myself that I didn't just order the fix when I got the thing, the $60 would have been a drop in the bucket compared to the $5k in new engine, 20/20 hindsight. So now I can't afford the plate but I don't really like the idea of leaving the thing like that. Amazon has the fel-pro intake gasket set for $25, not bad, and I've got a gift card balance from Xmas. Added a new 180 t-stat and the t-stat housing and tb gaskets and it was only $36 before shipping. Parts will be here next week and I can enjoy the fun of pulling the intake off. Will also give me a chance to lower the upper radiator hose. The hose is new with the engine and slightly too long so it rubs the hood.

In other news, brown santa says the feds will deliver my steering wheel controls tomorrow. That will give me a nice little project to dive into.

I'm taking suggestions for other free **** to kill time on this thing, or maybe I'll take up street juggling or some ****.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #88
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can take that throttle body and shave off the air dams with a dremmel then use a brake honer to bore it out. After that sand it with several grades of sand paper until it's nice and smooth then use mothers aluminum polish. Just don't bore it where the plates close or you will be fabbing new plates. I know this from experience.

Here is a pic of the first one I did on my old ZJ and my current one. You can see the gold color on the plates on the old one. I had to make new plates from a brass door kick. I spent a lot more time on the first one. Something to do if you are bored and it's free.

tb.jpg

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #89
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I used a metal-use hole saw to more mine out when I did it. It scratched up the sides so bad I spent four hours smoothing it all out by hand with a file. It was a PITA, but it did come out real nice. Definitely a good way to kill some time and get something useful--you could spend hours working on it. This is the only pic I have left of it:

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #90
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Looking good. Love the nice clear pictures. Great Job....
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.