KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #61
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I can grab one next time I'm near the heap.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #62
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thatd be great thanks
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #63
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

updates on this thing?
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #64
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Not much has happened, I got a trickle charger to plug it in when I'm home so I don't have to play jeep kiss of life everytime I want to start it.
niner-build-1-1.jpg
Once I got it running again I adjusted the TV cable and it ran fine again. What a huge difference that makes.

New tires went on, cooper discoverer htp in 245/70/r16. So much nicer than the mismatched crapola the PO had on there. The handling improved amazingly, and having a better gripping wider tire helps put that 5.9 power down since I'm still 2wd. They are a little big for stock suspension, wouldn't hold up to wheeling, but this isn't the wheeling rig. And since I bought two new niner rims I now have a rim for a full size spare, the rim the PO was using as a spare has become the second spare for the wheeling rig. Almost a win win.

Bought new rear hatch bumper things and the hatch quieted way the **** down, fix some wiring and I can put the plastic back on it.

Finally got the rear shocks that have been sitting in the garage for months installed.
niner-build-1-2.jpg

I owe somebody a soundbar picture. I may get it washed this weekend and take pics.

The todo (still) list:
Get it rekeyed, ignition key is a different key and is broken, and I have no remote
Get the spare tire mounted to the spare rim
Find a driver side front fender or have one painted, paint is chipping from the wheel falling off and setting down on the fender
Front DS
Fix the motors in the seats (or maybe a wj seat swap)
Rid myself of cali death flash
Sound
Plenum
VIC
Steering wheel

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #65
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Work has been hell on a steeck. I'm junking the acura, too much is wrong with it to be worth fixing, niner has become the dd so expect to see movement on this again.

Finally got around to doing rear pads and rotors, house brand stuff from o'reilly's for now, needed it fixed to tow a flatbed full of theatre sets.

Glad I did that, not a week later my boss blew the transmission on our sprinter out in the desert, crawled it's way back to the bay area but left the trailer full of gear at the stealership an hour away from work. The maintenance dept was understandably unhappy about becoming trailer storage. My boss wasn't about to pull the 6x12 enclosed trailer home with his GTI so the niner got to pull it.

I've got parasitic drain problems to add to my list of top annoyances. A good 600mA, 200 of that is from the BCM fuse which is a known offender in ZJ's, probably related to the ****ty condition of damn near every doors sensor. The other 400mA I haven't been able to trace to a circuit yet.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #66
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got some work done, and remembered to take pictures! Had to use the niner to pull the green one out of the back yard so I could get work done on it.
niner-build-1.jpg

I pulled the rear diff cover to replace the fluid in hopes that the lsd would stop acting up. This is the PO's idea of a RTV job.
niner-build-2.jpg

I was surprised at how clean the diff was, I was kinda expecting to be missing ring teeth or find welded spiders.
niner-build-3.jpg

Filled back up with royal purple 75-140. The back end is way nicer now. The LSD isn't acting up around corners as much and it doesn't feel as heavy.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #67
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got tired of the hood vents looking like this.
niner-build-1-2.jpg

So I grabbed some gun metal grey plasti-dip for them.
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Works way better than I had expected with the platinum paint. I'm thinking I'll do the same to the front bumper and find a 98 limited bumper and dip it to match the vents. That way I don't have to deal with trying to match paint.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #68
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Wow, I have been seriously neglecting the niner thread. Time for some updates.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:32 AM   #69
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I finally gutted and sold the acrua in October. From it I gleaned a box of electronic goodies I had installed. Alpine ida-305 stereo, Yaesu FT-8800 ham radio, both are destined for the niner.
niner-build-1-2.jpg

Cut up the old honda wiring harness and converted it to jeep.
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Took me a while to figure out why I had sound when in radio mode but not ipod mode. The infinity amp senses turn on based on the power antenna line, which is only on in the radio modes on an aftermarket stereo. Swap the power antenna trigger with the remote sense trigger and all is happy. Sounds much better and works with my ipod.

Also dumped five quarts of royal purple into it when o'reilly's was having a sale.
oil.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #70
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

My parasitic drain problems have been persistent. In talking things over with my mechanic he agreed that the alternator could be causing much of the draw. I lost my job at the end of october and haven't had much luck finding work again. So money is tight, but not having a vehicle to get to what pick up work I can find isn't gonna fly.

I forgot to plug it in the other night and was dead in the water 10 hours later, enough is enough, it's time for a fix.

I'm gonna do this right and I'm gonna do this once. The charging and starting wiring was in really ****ty shape. I could remove the negative terminal by hand because it wouldn't tighten down enough, positive leads sucked, the PO, well you know how the PO treated this thing.

Picture says it best.
niner-build-2-4.jpg

Close up on the positive lead with the insulation missing, thats the lead from the battery to the PDC fuse box.
niner-build-2-3.jpg

Negative side terminal wasn't much better.
niner-build-2-9.jpg

And the pièce de mother****ing résistance, I give you, the PO's idea of a repair. This is the PDC to alternator wire.
niner-build-2-5.jpg

That's lamp cord. Not temp rated, not oil rated, NOT IN MY JEEP!

I ripped it out, all of it, gone. The negative side battery to chassis, engine, and alternator, all gone. Positive to pdc, starter, and alternator, also gone. Pulled the connector and harness that has the alternator control lines from the PCM, the starter relay trigger to the solenoid, and the ac compressor sensor.

*one of these things is not like the others, etc*

Rants about what idiot at jeep thought the ac pressure sensor should go there aside, jeep also made some other questionable (in my book) choices in the wiring of these things. The positive side is pretty straight forward. From the battery, one leg goes to the PDC fuse block and the other leg goes direct to a funny connector on the starter. The funny connector is really just a big molded plastic thing with the ring terminals for the starter solenoid trigger and power. The easy thing to do is just cut the green trigger wire and solder on a small ring terminal for the solenoid trigger. There is also a jumper that goes from the PDC block input to the alternator output (the one repaired with lamp cord). The negative side is a little bit worse. One negative lead from the battery goes direct to the chassis about 2 inches away, nice, good quality chassis ground, ten points to jeep. The other lead from the battery goes towards the engine block and then SPLITS, in the middle of the cable, to go to the engine block ground lug, and the funny alternator connector, which again, is really just two ring terminals for the regulator control and a pair of ground lugs molded into a funny custom "connector".

Whatever, I ripped all that crapola out and took some measurements for wire. Also counted up the number of ring terminals I needed. Put the t-case in neutral, push the heap inside the garage and close the door, g'night.

Went off to west marine the next day, got myself 5ft of Black #6 marine wire and 8ft of Red #6 marine wire. Didn't end up using all of it, but it's always better to have more than you need. I got battery terminals from o'reillys, color coded "marine style" battery terminals, the style with posts for ring connectors and wing nuts. I threw out the "gold colored" wing nuts in favor of real brass ones I had lying around.

Ring terminals are all heavy duty #6 crimp on terminals. I don't have a great crimper, and I don't trust crimps in general, so I crimped things to test fit and then soldered them. I kept counting the number of terminals I needed incorrectly, so I made a few too many trips back to west marine.

While I made up cables I had a friend pull the alternator off the green jeep and swap it into the niner. This will tell me for certain if the alternator that was in the niner is bad. I also had the battery sitting in the corner of the shop on the good battery charger for much of the time I was working. I'm a little worried that all this discharging may have killed it anyway, but time will tell.

These are the cables I ended up making:

Battery negative 3/8" ring term to 3/8" ring term for chassis ground.
Battery negative 3/8" ring term to 3/8" ring term for engine ground.
Battery positive 3/8" ring term to 3/8" ring term for starter motor.
Battery positive 3/8" ring term to 3/8" ring term for PDC
Battery positive 3/8" ring term to 1/4" ring terminal for alternator output.
(Note: the heavy duty ring terminals don't fit in the plastic protector on the alt, I modified it with a dremel and retinned, a standard duty ring term with fit out of the box.)

I cut the alternator connector off at the Y in the ground cable and added a 3/8" ring term so I could put it on the engine ground stud. The alternator being grounded in this way should make no difference electrically. I really don't know why jeep didn't do that in the first place.

The battery terminals I got are actually 3/8" post on the positive side and 5/16" post on the negative. Some of the posts on the jeep may be 5/16" as well. I used 3/8 all around except on the alternator for simplicity. The alternator output post has a plastic shroud around it (Good Design!) that makes using an oversized terminal difficult.

Positive terminal shot, I decided to run the alternator output direct to the battery instead of to the PDC input. Electrically this makes no difference, I like it better that way and assumed the original design was due to a limit on the number of wires they could mold into the stock battery terminal.
niner-build-2-1.jpg

Negative side, nothing fancy.
niner-build-2-2.jpg

Routing around the alternator. You can see the engine ground stud and the alternator grounding line in this picture.
niner-build-2-6.jpg

Positive side and PDC.
niner-build-2-8.jpg

Negative side again.
niner-build-2-7.jpg

I got a lot of good information from custombatterycables.com particularly the page on the apparently infamous jeep y negative cable here. They also sell an upgraded set of battery cables similar to what I did (for a lot more money)here

Starting seems quicker, and headlights seem brighter, but I don't have any real numbers on that, and I've been driving the box truck this week, and that thing makes the niner headlights look like HID's. I'm gonna try not plugging it in for a few days and see if it survives, maybe run some tests on it later.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #71
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Yours (originals) look like mine. I am in the midst of doing the same. I am going to just run the cables straight accross though and not go down and up under the tensioner. I hope this takes care of your problem and good luck on the J hunt!
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #72
mckellyb
1998 ZJ 

Dude! Those OEM battery cables are depressing.

I can't believe people let vehicles get to this stage.
Found a white '98 5.9L to be the dedicated 'toad' (towed car), 163K miles, bone stock - '99 Fleetwood Bounder diesel 39Z, our diesel apartment - others: '05 Cadillac STS, N*, my DD, 121K miles w/a new trans @ 114K...thanks, GM; '02 Lexus RX300, every option but a trailer hitch, wife's ride but on OEM size BFG A/Ts
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #73
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Very nice. I had a bad diode in my alternator that was eating my battery overnight. Have you put a multimeter on it yet to try to trace the parasitic drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
Yours (originals) look like mine. I am in the midst of doing the same. I am going to just run the cables straight accross though and not go down and up under the tensioner. I hope this takes care of your problem and good luck on the J hunt!
What are you doing over here, Kevin? Are you also using #6 for yours? That seems a little small. I'm going to use 0AWG, but I'm also putting the battery in the back and plan on using some fairly high-draw (and loud ) components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckellyb View Post
Dude! Those OEM battery cables are depressing.

I can't believe people let vehicles get to this stage.
What's even worse is that they do it on purpose. My WHOLE JEEP was full of gems like this.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #74
mckellyb
1998 ZJ 

I understand.

People blow off and and all maintenance/upkeep, then get all pissy when bad things start happening.

I found my 5.9L had the original plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and freakin' PLUGS!!

I can't believe it still ran, honestly.
Found a white '98 5.9L to be the dedicated 'toad' (towed car), 163K miles, bone stock - '99 Fleetwood Bounder diesel 39Z, our diesel apartment - others: '05 Cadillac STS, N*, my DD, 121K miles w/a new trans @ 114K...thanks, GM; '02 Lexus RX300, every option but a trailer hitch, wife's ride but on OEM size BFG A/Ts
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #75
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The niner get #6 since it's staying pretty stock for now. With ring terms and marine style battery terminals it's easy to upgrade later. The green one may get #4 when I do the same to it.

I'm lucky that my PO wasn't more enthusiastic about fixing things, given the state of the things he did fix.

Took all of a day for the battery to die in the niner again from fully charged was running better with the new wires when I could get it to start. Alt is definitely not my problem though, so now I have to find what is.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.