KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #46
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

You're starting to find stuff like I did when I started tearing my niner apart. Consider yourself lucky--drywall screws look like a professional install compared to some of the crap I've found.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #47
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The wrong speakers showed up and got shipped back to amazon monday, wednesday the right speakers showed up AND they put money back in my account. Nice!

Setting up the speakers with the mounting bracket for 6 3/4 mounts.
Attachment 586207

Soldering straight to the speaker. None of this crimp extension crap. If you want to do it right, learn to solder.
Attachment 586208

All connected
Attachment 586209

And installed in the door.
Attachment 586210

Trusty box of trim panel retainer things. Never worry about breaking them off again, and of course there were quite a few missing already.
Attachment 586212

Front passenger side was just as bad as the drivers door was, installed with drywall screws. I made sure to double check the wiring colors in the FSM because I didn't trust the PO to have things installed in phase.
Attachment 586213

Rear driver side was nominal. Went to look at the rear passenger door and got a surprise.

Attachment 586214

The mechanical lock doesn't work either though the electronic part does so at least the door will lock.

Both the original screws for the door were missing, one had been replaced with a #10 sheet metal screw (WRONG AGAIN!). Once I opened the door panel it was easy to see why the window switch was missing.

Attachment 586215

Oh, and to top it all off, instead of three drywall screws for the speaker, the PO used ONE.

Classy.

Attachment 586211

Glass bits in the bottom of the door indicate the window broke if not worse. The car sounds much better now, just gotta do something about the sound bar in back and then the head unit. Want to take some measurments of the head unit and amp before I rip them out. Got to figure out what the funny eq thats on them is. Maybe replace the tweeters.

Also pulled the front driveshaft out. Need it for the trail jeep, and it wasn't fitting right in the niner anyway. I think the pinion yoke may be too damaged. Getting a lot better.
I think we had the same PO because I am finding the exact same things, down to the rear passenger window switch being broken the same thing and the PO using drywall screws to secure their speakers. WTF? No front DS, no front speakers, no amp, a shock that rattles, torn seat-backs and a broken sway bar end link. Somebody abused mine, then ripped out the internals. Who does that to a niner?
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #48
LRHostetler
1998 ZJ 

@McCloudsZJ

"Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum" I have a 4S, and herd the 5 sucks. how is the 6?
LRHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHostetler View Post
"Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum" I have a 4S, and herd the 5 sucks. how is the 6?
It's awesome.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've been thinking about getting one of those but I figured I'd still use my iPad Nano more anyway.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of those but I figured I'd still use my iPad Nano more anyway.

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #52
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Front shocks (only?) showed up from kolak on friday. I didn't actually get around to hauling the box in from the porch until midnight. Had a lot of highway miles to do the next day, so on they went.

The entire front end is caked in dirt, need to get it to a steam wash before I do much more of this.
niner-build-1-2.jpg

Shiny new bilstein vs crappy PO specials.
niner-build-1-4.jpg

Would love an explanation on this one.
niner-build-1-5.jpg

Both shocks went easy, almost too easy. Put the passenger side wheel back on and got a wobbly surprise! Checked ball joints and tre's both solid.

Judging by the missing axle nut covers on the wheels and the almost clean cv boots on the axles the PO did a cv axle job recently. And guessing that he isn't really the torque wrench owning type I figured it was probably safe to say he didn't torque them down properly. Which would mean the preload was wrong and the hubs are shot.

Yanked off the caliper and rotor, took a wrench to the axle nut and it came off way too easy.
niner-build-1-3.jpg

Tried to shake the hub and got this instead.
niner-build-1-6.jpg

Oh well, it's 2am. Pushed the hub back together, brake parts back on, axle nut torqued down properly. Wheel back on and no more shakes! Good enough for now, drove fine the next day.

Picked up new hubs today, haven't driven it since saturday but I need to figure out what is wrong with the front end on the green one, so I need this fixed.

It's only money.
niner-build-1-1.jpg  

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #53
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Got new wheel hubs in from o'reillys last tuesday. Brought em home and started ripping things out of the front end.

Passenger side came apart in a few too many pieces.

niner-build-2-1.jpg
niner-build-2-2.jpg
niner-build-2-3.jpg

Front rotors were gouged and warped, pads were recent so the PO had probably never had the rotors turned. Pulled the cv shafts and didn't like what I found so ordered new ones.

The next day my parts pile looked like this.
niner-build-2-4.jpg

Installing went great until I broke the bleeder nipple on the driver side caliper. O'reillys had two new ones in stock so I grabbed em, and a set of new front performance friction pads for good measure.
niner-build-2-5.jpg

No pics of it together, towards the end I just wanted to get it driving, it was three days stuck in the garage in hover mode.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Drove fine for two days, put a lot of miles in that time too.

Driving home from getting it washed (for the first time since I've owned it and probably the first time in a year or two of the PO) I start hearing a wubwubwub from the front end. Slow down 80 -> 50, the **** is that? *POW* front driver side drops a bit like the tire blew, ************, pull onto the shoulder and get another *POW* and the driver side drops more.

Tires don't blow twice.

040713143717.jpg

All the lug nuts on the drivers side front wheel are gone, called AAA, tossed the jack under the frame and pulled the tire out to minimize body damage and waited to get towed home.

The CHP guy that showed up hops out of his car

"Broken down?"
"Yeh"
"Whats the problem?"
"Wheel fell off"
"It what?"

He stared at it for a while before he gave up and went off to write up some BMW's doing 70.

Shot of the hub on the tow truck, remains of lug nuts on all the threads, one stud is bent.
niner-build-3-1.jpg

Ripped the front apart, pulled the rotor and hub, it was resting on the hub after the wheel gave up. Hadn't taken the core calipers back yet so I grabbed those and hauled off in the trail jeep to o'reilly's.

Who by some miracle had the hub in stock, warranty replaced. Threw the rotor on the lathe to check it, found a little bit of hop, warranty replaced. Grabbed lug nuts for the whole vehicle, cored the calipers. All together they owed me $13.

Swanky.

Really not a fan of coming home to this.
niner-build-3-2.jpg

New parts, grabbed a torque bar set for the impact wrench.
niner-build-3-3.jpg

My new lug nut procedure is impact with a 90ftlbs torque bar, then click wrench to 100ftlbs.

New hub went on easy, I'm getting a little too good at front end disassembly.
niner-build-3-4.jpg

Now for some carnage. I don't have a shot of the fender, it was bent out of shape from sitting on the wheel. Bent it back in by hand but the paint is chipping. Here's the inside of the wheel.
niner-build-3-5.jpg

Some pretty good gouges in the wheel.
niner-build-3-6.jpg

Mounting area is totally trashed.
niner-build-3-7.jpg
niner-build-3-8.jpg

So now I need to get a new niner wheel. The jeep junkyard in sacremento has them for 100 clams a pop. Probably see about getting a fender from them too.

It really is only money right?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Good lord! You have horrible luck man, not gonna lie!
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Those gore pictures make me want to cry...
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #57
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good ****ing ***** mother of a ****sucking monkeys *****

For future reference:

This is a 16" niner wheel
image-1722706780.jpg

And this is some major league bull**** has no business being on my jeep.
image-3088178806.jpg

But in the dark at 11pm they look the freaking same. So I waited at Costco for two hours before they pulled the jeep into the bay and told me they can't mount a 16" tire on a 15" rim.

****, now I need two niner rims.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #58
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Finally got a new niner rim and got the old tire put on it so I'm rolling again, just in time to build a bumper for the trail jeep.
image-1353280221.jpg

New fogs for the price of used at the jeep yard will be going in when I have time to ate the bumper off, I've probably forgotten how running the green one without one for so long. Also gonna fix up some of the lock and door latch problems.

And I finally got my rear shocks from Kodak, so this is going to be riding great in no time.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #59
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Little stuff

Bunch of little things since I haven't been on the forum in a while, well I've been lurking but haven't had time to post. Work has been a living ****storm.

Finally got the ac to work, all new hoses and dryer. And then the ****ing blower motor controller went out! Melted the connector too.

Replaced with this, and my special custom connector.
niner-build-1-1.jpg

Replaced this,
niner-build-1-2.jpg

With this,
niner-build-1-3.jpg

Installed these, much brighter (front maps were out). I don't like them in the shifter bezels, but I think the interior lighting is going to go all led. Already put some in the green one too.
niner-build-1-4.jpg

Swapped this so I can finally use the flipper glass, then I had to do the flipper glass gas shocks. Never ends.
niner-build-1-5.jpg

And installed my new for the price of used (what a deal) fogs, so nice to have all the front lights working again.
niner-build-1-6.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #60
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

you wouldnt happen to have a picture of the sound bar in the rear would you? ive been wondering how these are set up since ive never been graced with being in a 5.9 ive been trying to figure if i could make one or get one for my 96
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.