KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Those are two different size tires but here is what it would cost. The 245 in E load 10 ply are going to be bigger and heavier than the BFG's.

469 shipped to your zip code from treadwright with the 245's

655 shipped from tirerack with the 235's

186 difference.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Aha, I can't read tire racks site. Gonna have to look around, there's not much for walmarts on this side of the bay, I think it's a proximity to SF thing.

I need to fix the front driveshaft, I'm used to being able to floor it coming off a stoplight and the niner just spins the tires if I try that now. Is the front shaft the same for any 96+ V8? Need to get the front axle back in the green one so I can get it out of the garage too.

Cute avatar polka.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The late 95+ with the V8/249 are all going to have the CV front shaft. I replaced mine with a u jointed shaft and yoke. If I recall the shaft I put in was 31" long compressed which was about the same as the CV shaft. It was a little hard to measure though because my cv shaft looked like a broken arm.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got a new tail light from the JY and tossed that in. Also grabbed a shifter bezel cause it looks like the PO attempted to fix something in the stock one and screwed it up. The shifter doesn't index correctly with the bezel and I sometimes have to start it in neutral instead of park. What causes that?

Ordered parts from kolak. E-codes, lamps, and stock length bilsteins are all on their way.

A local jf member with a more flexible schedule is helping by digging a driveshaft and new mirror out of the jy.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Starting in neutral? As in your Neutral Safety Switch is going out?
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I think so, I haven't had time to read up. Maybe the shifter cable is loose so it's not fully in park? Dunno.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #37
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

If it's not fully engaged in "Park," your key won't come out. It took me almost 15 minutes to figure that out. Only starting in Neutral is classic NSS. Do your reverse lights work?
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #38
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Reverse lights work, though now I know why they don't on my 96. The ignition tumbler is broken so I can pull the key out anytime I want so thats hard to tell.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got a driveshaft and mirror freshly pulled from newark courtesy of jetjr. Gonna toss em in and then I'll have a better time driving this thing again. Which is good since it looks like the steering box in the 96 is for ****.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #40
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Few minor things got fixed, few more to do.

Something is totally horked on the driveshaft, cant tell if it's just because the PO ran for so long without one and the bolt holes are rusted or what.

New mirror is in, doesn't have auto dim, don't care in the least. The trick to get it in was to seat the side first and then push.
niner-build-2-4.jpg

Also got the maglite mounted, most important thing to have in a jeep, right after the fire extinguisher and med kit. I like this mount a hell of a lot more than the way I have the clips in the green one.
niner-build-2-3.jpg

It was looking like it was gonna rain so I decided to put a temporary fix on the messed up headlight. Grabbed the drill out of the lab and installed a drainage hole.
niner-build-2-2.jpg

Which let out a hell of a lot of water.
niner-build-2-1.jpg

Grabbed a new lamp from O'reily's between jobs, replaced this which looks to be original.
niner-build-2-5.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #41
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Four new polk audio db651s for the doors ordered from amazon. Tired of listening to music through only the back speakers.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Ok, this security system **** HAS GOT TO GO.

Two days in a row I've been woken up at 6am by somebody banging on the door because the alarm is going off on the niner. Door sensor must be bad, I think it's the tailgate. Need to do the door hinge fix and new weatherstripping all around too, why the hell is weatherstripping so damn expensive?

Side note: If I sit on the center console I can still reach the pedals and the wheel, driving around with my head out the sunroof is a little too fun

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #43
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Ok, this security system **** HAS GOT TO GO.

Two days in a row I've been woken up at 6am by somebody banging on the door because the alarm is going off on the niner. Door sensor must be bad, I think it's the tailgate. Need to do the door hinge fix and new weatherstripping all around too, why the hell is weatherstripping so damn expensive?

Side note: If I sit on the center console I can still reach the pedals and the wheel, driving around with my head out the sunroof is a little too fun
Subbed I hear ya on the side note!
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #44
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Package of goodies showed up today from amazon (that was fast)

Shiny!
niner-build-3-2.jpg

Had two hours between work and leaving for an overnight at the hospital (stupid tests, I'm fine) I'm sick and tired of the front speakers not working, lets do this.
niner-build-3-3.jpg

In the driveway because somebody left a jeep with no steering in the garage.
niner-build-3-1.jpg

Popped the door open and got to find what the PO thinks is acceptable speaker mounting.
niner-build-3-4.jpg

Drywall screws
niner-build-3-5.jpg

And cheap wiring
niner-build-3-6.jpg

Of course it wasn't till I had the door open that I realized I got the wrong speakers. I have the db651 in my green one but I got the db651s for the niner. The db651 is the normal one not the slim speaker, and besides higher power handling it also comes with a mount bracket for 6 3/4 size vehicles like the ZJ.

If I'm doing this I'm doing it right. Three clicks on amazon and I had a shipping label to return the db651s. Three clicks more and I will have new db651 on wednesday.

Ah well, it's only my daily driver.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The wrong speakers showed up and got shipped back to amazon monday, wednesday the right speakers showed up AND they put money back in my account. Nice!

Setting up the speakers with the mounting bracket for 6 3/4 mounts.
niner-build-4-2.jpg

Soldering straight to the speaker. None of this crimp extension crap. If you want to do it right, learn to solder.
niner-build-4-3.jpg

All connected
niner-build-4-4.jpg

And installed in the door.
niner-build-4-5.jpg

Trusty box of trim panel retainer things. Never worry about breaking them off again, and of course there were quite a few missing already.
niner-build-4-7.jpg

Front passenger side was just as bad as the drivers door was, installed with drywall screws. I made sure to double check the wiring colors in the FSM because I didn't trust the PO to have things installed in phase.
niner-build-4-8.jpg

Rear driver side was nominal. Went to look at the rear passenger door and got a surprise.

niner-build-4-10.jpg

The mechanical lock doesn't work either though the electronic part does so at least the door will lock.

Both the original screws for the door were missing, one had been replaced with a #10 sheet metal screw (WRONG AGAIN!). Once I opened the door panel it was easy to see why the window switch was missing.

niner-build-4-12.jpg

Oh, and to top it all off, instead of three drywall screws for the speaker, the PO used ONE.

Classy.

niner-build-4-13.jpg

Glass bits in the bottom of the door indicate the window broke if not worse. The car sounds much better now, just gotta do something about the sound bar in back and then the head unit. Want to take some measurments of the head unit and amp before I rip them out. Got to figure out what the funny eq thats on them is. Maybe replace the tweeters.

Also pulled the front driveshaft out. Need it for the trail jeep, and it wasn't fitting right in the niner anyway. I think the pinion yoke may be too damaged. Getting a lot better.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.