KG6MOV's Niner Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > KG6MOV's Niner Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #136
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

If you got most of the parts ready, why not just keep it? When I replaced everything (CAs/bushings/shocks + 2" bb spacers + extended sway links + delete rear sway) my ride felt better than with 180k miles on all stock parts! (Literally no suspension component was touched...for 180kmiles...thanks PO). That is until my cheapo re xpress shocks blew xD now I'm running dostech 3000s. Everything is great to me! Its not as smooth of a ride as my dads soccer mom wagon (2012 dodge journey sxt) but hell its a 20yr old JEEP.

Unread 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #137
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've got a bunch of parts, but it's not all of them.

I've got most of a front suspension rebuild and engine and trans mounts on the way, but there's a lot of body damage, trans is acting up, sunroof is ****ed, interior is less than great, etc.

It's just a really long list and a bunch of it is things that I could probably fix if I had enough time, but it's supposed to be my DD.

I'm really leaning toward finding a niner in pretty good shape and swapping **** over, then transplanting the engine into the green one.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #138
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Finding another niner wouldn't be bad. Then you can swap and part out maybe break even? At least get SOMETHING back. What is your green one? A 5.2L?
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #139
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Honestly, finding another one might not be a bad idea. I cut my losses after sinking way too much into my first one. Waited a bit... And bought my great white buffalo. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #140
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

For now this is an end.

I replaced the blower motor controller again. It slightly improved my parasitic drain, but it only went from 700mA down to 300mA. I opened up the previous one and ran tests on the lab bench. The basic design of the two controllers I have is such that there will always be some leakage current. I'm not sure if the mopar controller is of a different electrical design internally (possible) but the aftermarket controllers so far seem to be the same topology. While I had it in the garage for the blower motor it dumped a not insignificant amount of coolant on the floor, the water pump is leaking on the driver side. With that and the steering box needing to be replaced I'm calling the whole thing off, into the backyard it goes and will sit until I decide what to do with it.

In other news, I pulled into the theatre yesterday and thought I beat the shop manager in. I was looking at this clean slate niner in the parking lot when I saw her med kit in the back seat.
jeep-emi-buffalo.jpg

Apparently she was wandering through the LA desert and saw it in a dealer lot. I looked all over and the only thing I could find wrong with it was the missing front shaft, a few little electrical things, and thats it. The interior is spotless, backseats like nobody has ever sat in them. Fronts are spotless, niner trim in great condition. Despite the kentucky plates there's not a touch of rust on the body.

I'm a little bitter.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #141
95knight
1998 ZJ 

I'm just as demotivated with my ZJ right now and it's not even a niner! If I was you, I would say do it, since you have the off road part covered with the green jeep, why not take this one and build it to be an all wheel track monster! You need to keep looking on to what is next that will make you smile and enjoy the jeep just as much as you did on day one, that is probably the only reason I haven't sold mine yet!

Also you are a mastermind of a ZJ, reading through your whole thread I want to go outside at midnight and do my plenum, driver door pins, plasti dip my hood, replace my tv cable, and fix a bunch of other things.
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #142
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks, I try to get things well documented so other people can keep these things running and enjoy them.

Niner is sitting in the backyard as parts fodder. I'm lucky enough to have the space to let it sit until I decide its final fate. Green one is on DD duty, but I'm looking for a car to DD, something with 3 pedals and better than 25mpg. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a new niner, I'm sure I'll find it eventually.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #143
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post

Apparently she was wandering through the LA desert and saw it in a dealer lot. I looked all over and the only thing I could find wrong with it was the missing front shaft, a few little electrical things, and thats it. The interior is spotless, backseats like nobody has ever sat in them. Fronts are spotless, niner trim in great condition. Despite the kentucky plates there's not a touch of rust on the body.

I'm a little bitter.
Ky? Was she from Ky?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #144
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Jeep was at some point, not sure how it ended up in a dealership outside LA.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #145
jeepjeepster

Dang, I would've bought it had I known it was in ky somewhere and in good shape. Seems someone added a transmission cooler which is a good sign.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #146
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

How did I miss this thread...

so you've decided to cut your losses
bummer
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #147
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Not quite, the engine and trans are going into the green thing, and the parts are proving useful for the shop managers niner.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #148
Jess72
1998 ZJ 

oops
Jess72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #149
e_mac682
1997 ZJ 

Good thread and write-up! This has helped me on a few things as I wait to get my rig back up and rolling. 73's to ya KGMOV from KE7CSH in Az.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.