Keyless entry module/ antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Keyless entry module/ antenna

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
04ColumbiaWJ
2004 WJ 

Keyless entry module/ antenna

i just bought my jeep and they gave my one remote, but it did not work so i brought it to the dealership to get it programed. They tried programing it and they said that the remote worked fine but it only worked inside due to a week antenna or because the tint is to dark. even inside it didnt work that great. The said im most likely going to need a new module.

does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or know of a good place to pick one of these up at a decent price?

Or instructions on how to replace it?

04ColumbiaWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Um, why would your tint have anything to do with it? They stopped using IR systems in 1996! Yours is RF.

Did anyone check the battery in your remote?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
04ColumbiaWJ
2004 WJ 

the battery was the first thing i switched. and yeah the tint thing is complete bull****. i have friends with darker tint and they're keyless entry works fine.
04ColumbiaWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
FDWJ
2004 WJ 

i would like to know if this helps after you replace the module, mine hasnt worked since i got it. i dont even carry it any more. it would work inside or if i was holding it up against a window.
Firefighter Jeep Club member #99
FDWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Sanjoy
2000 WJ 

keyless entry range fix from 2' to 60' GCL 2000

Hi to every one i'm new to the forum and hope i can help

It took me ages to sort this problem out but now done remote range is great
Did this on my 2000 JGC
the PDM, passenger door module which contains the window and door lock switches also contains the RKE, remote keyless entry unit it is all one unit if you change this unit your key fobs will have to be reprogramed by a dealer or auto lock smith as this unit holds the code information from the remote key fobs. If your key fob will only work up close to the car you need to remove the unit, first take off door panel and then unscrew the unit from back of door panel for units after 2001 there should be a 12" single core wire comming out of it, this is the antenna if this wire is damaged or snaged you need to open the unit and replace it very easy to do with a soldering iron. If there is no antenna wire follow instructions below.
On units pre 2001 the units did not have the wire antenna and so the range with the remote was very poor, it was an in warranty replacement with a new unit with the wire antenna. The pre 2001 units can have a wire antenna attached thus fixing the problem. You need to open the unit it splits into two, separate carefuly as there is a ribbon cable connecting the two halves, the side with the switches on is the one you need to solder the wire to, the circuit board has a printed antenna on it at the end of the printed antenna is a solder point it is here that you need to solder on the new antenna wire. A peice of 12 volt insulated single core bell wire no longer than 12"s, i used a wire removed from a computer ide ribbon cable as it's easer to solder to the board as it very thin, put some insulation tape over the unsoldered end do not be tempted to put a longer wire on it will decrease the range of the reciever, this is to do with the operating frequency of the unit. When you fit the unit back into the door panel just tape the new antenna wire to the back of the door panel. When i did this upgrade to my unit i did not have a camera with me so did not get a pic to show where the solder point is, so if you open your unit lay it out flat and take over head pic of circuit boards and email it me i will mark the solder point on the pic and send it back to you. this is a must do repair or upgrade witch you can do your self
an updated unit from a dealer fitted and reprogramed costs 400.
The range on my jeep has gone from 2' to 60' in built up areas and upto 100' in open areas
any questions just email me and i will do all i can to help.
Jeep should have done a recall for this problem as the unit was not fit for purpose. Dealers would only replace unit in warranty if customers brought it to their attention
If your remote has never had any range this is the fix.

Last edited by Sanjoy; 11-07-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: better description
Sanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
ptfly

Sanjoy, hi mate, could you point out where is this antenna soldering point?

Here is the link to my board photo:
http://ptfly.com/dw/RKE-Jeep-WG-2002.jpg

Probably it's printed on the back side of the board but it's clinched with 2 plastic rivets to the module base and it's not easy to detach and see where the antenna sign is printed!
ptfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
justinmcummings
2002 WJ 

Picture

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but is it possible to get a picture of the spot on the board where to solder. I am attempting to preform this mod.
justinmcummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Take a pic of it, post it up and I will point it out to you. Make sure it is a crystal clear image, though.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Heres some photos for everyone who wants to do this. I also used a single wire off a IDE cable.
100_0615.jpg   100_0617.jpg   100_0618.jpg  
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
wonka1981
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
Heres some photos for everyone who wants to do this. I also used a single wire off a IDE cable.
Thanks for the photos. Would this be the same in an XJ, I was told the Keyless Entry system was above the dome light in the XJ's, or would this be in the door as well?

THanks
wonka1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Colton5419
2004 WJ 

I'm having this problem with my 2004 WJ(Remote Key-less Entry not working unless VERY close to the Jeep, the key fob is brand new and is programmed) - I removed the door panel, disconnected the PDM(Passenger Door Module) and opened it up, but i could not get the circuit panel out from the plastic housing - it was held down by what seemed to be 8 total black plastic rivets or similar, so i couldn't get to the side that the PINK/BLACK antenna cable was attached to to check it...(from what i could see the wire was in tact but i couldn't see where it attached to the board.. Must be different for the WJ model.
The installed part number is a bit different than it should be I think, it ends in AA while the replacement part in the TSB for the problem ends in AB...

(OlllllllO)

Last edited by Colton5419; 10-23-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Colton5419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
SgtPsychosis
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The thread that refuses to die...

One question: "Passenger Door Module."

Is this the bank of switches on the driver side door?

I have two fobs for the remote entry system, and neither work unless you are with a few feet of the driver side door. Occasionally they'll work at a range of up to 10 feet....but I am pretty sure that the antennae is the issue.
SgtPsychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

What year jeep?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
SgtPsychosis
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
What year jeep?
2004 Grand Cherokee
SgtPsychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

I'm not sure about the 2004, but in most cases the passenger door module is the one in the passenger door. On the ZJ, the PDM is the one that controls the remote keyless entry.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.