Key Won't Turn - Stuck Ignition Switch - FIXED - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key Won't Turn - Stuck Ignition Switch - FIXED

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
viper1993

Key Won't Turn - Stuck Ignition Switch - FIXED

Just thought I'd post a fix for a problem that happened to my 1999 Grand Cherokee. I would love to give the author credit as I found the fix on this web site - but I could not find the post again.

So here was my problem. The key would not turn in the ignition switch. I thought that it was a simple "turn the wheel a little" to relieve the pressure off of the locking mechanism - but unfortuantely it was not that simple. No matter how much I turned the steering wheel - or tried to jiggle the key - it would not turn. Shifter was fully forward and brake applied as well.

The fix - a hammer - and you don't need a BFH either! I used a very small hammer and tapped in on the key - like you are trying to hammer it further INTO the lock - not to sheer it off.

All it took was two light taps and Voila - key turned and problem has not reoccured. I realize that this may be a short term fix and that the locking mechanism may need to be replaced at some point in the future - but it got me on the road again.

Good Luck!

Unread 11-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

My WJ's lock cylinder had to be replaced twice in a one year time period. They have issues.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
MXWJ01
2001 WJ 

That just happen to my sister in law's 00 JGC. Tried the hammer an it worked, but reocurred again whats the solution?
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I can only report some hearsay. Try lubing the lock cylinder.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

There is a locking mechanism about 2-4 inches past the ignition inside the column. the only way to see it is to have the column cover off(the plastic piece that surrounds the area around the ignition), once it is off just push the lock down and the key will come out. There must be some type of adjustment somewhere not too sure though. I just know this because i was messing around in there and my key got stuck too.

By the way this thread is 8 years old.
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I know this is old as dirt but try pushing the OD off button instead of bfh

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.