Key won't turn all the way back. Now the starter will not engage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key won't turn all the way back. Now the starter will not engage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
dequity

Key won't turn all the way back. Now the starter will not engage?

98 5.9 ZJ. Running great. Just pulled into a parking spot and the key would turn the motor off but it did not go all the way back like it usually does. So the lights on the dash are still one. I can pull the key out of the ignition at any point.

Now when I turn it to start I get nothing.

Key cyl bad? Give me some things to check

Thanks

Unread 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

I would say bad key cylinder if you can remove the key. Double check the shifter to make sure it is in park. Try neutral to start it.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
dequity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1mj View Post
I would say bad key cylinder if you can remove the key. Double check the shifter to make sure it is in park. Try neutral to start it.
Moved the shifter... works fine. Thanks
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

That still seems weird that you can turn off the engine when the vehicle isn't in park, and remove the key. I can't do either.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold View Post
That still seems weird that you can turn off the engine when the vehicle isn't in park, and remove the key. I can't do either.
My first ZJ (1993) was like that. I could pull the key out while driving down the road, only needed it to start it up.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
dequity

This is how my 98 is. You need the key to start it.

Sorry about jumping the gun with this thread. Yesterday was a rough car day for me. My GF about blew the motor in her E46 (That I had to pay to fix), The mazdaspeed miata had a cam positioning sensor and a battery go south, the corvette had a dead battery and then when my jeep did this I was like . Should have known that my 5.9 NEVER lets me down. It's old and beat up buy I love the truck and can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.