Key, Steering Wheela and Shifter wont move - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key, Steering Wheela and Shifter wont move

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Key, Steering Wheela and Shifter wont move

My 97 has been sitting for about a week. LAst time I used her was in the Ice Storm. Went to run her today and the Ignition Key, Steering Wheel and Shifter are locked. Its been very cold, sub zero during that period of non use. Any chance something has froze due to slush or ??

So how to you release whatever is causing the above mentioned problem. And how to you defeat whatever so this cant happen again. This my back up car for emergencies.

Thanks
8Valve

Toy Box; http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple
8valve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how slush could have frozen in the ignition lock. But I have heard of the key turning problem being fixed by hitting the end of a key with a rubber mallet. There is even a youtube video that demonstrates it.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I may be reading it wrong, but it sounds like the steering wheel is locked (safety feature). Turn it in either direction while turning the key to the "on" position at the same time and it should free everything up.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Sometimes, turning the steering wheel slightly, will free up the key. Don't force it, just turn it slightly, while trying the key.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

x3 on the safety lock. if I ever have the tires turned full lock on an incline or something, I have to force it to turn a tiny bit before the key will unlock. I've also known 6 other vehicles in the same rough era that has it. Try that and report back?
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
8valve
1997 ZJ 

I understand what your suggesting, ie move the wheel a little each way. I have to do that wiht my Ram CTD sometimes. But the Jeep wheel will not move at all, the lock is holding it tight. The one suggestion to hit the end of the key with a rubber mallet, is that to break the lock position or just free the lock ?

How does one defeat this wheel/key/trans selector nightmare ?

8Valve

Unread 12-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

Jack up the front end and get the wheels off the ground and see of it helps. I would try that before beating on anything.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgimble View Post
Jack up the front end and get the wheels off the ground and see of it helps. I would try that before beating on anything.
I will try that in the morning. Snow and Ice, nice to have to work on a vehicle outside arrg

8Valve

Unread 12-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
8valve
1997 ZJ 

As suggested, I jacked the front end off the ground.
This still did not allow the steering wheel to move and let the key turn in the ignition. I tried tapping on the key with a small mallet..still no release.

This cant be the first time this has happened to someone. What has to be done to release the steering wheel,ignition switch and transmission selector so I can use the GC ? I can not even move it into my shop where its warm and lights.
Its wicked cold out to start just exploring. I cant find anything in the FSM that covers this lock up problem.

Thanks for any possible help

8Valve

Unread 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
RNMedic

worn ignition lock cylinder. needs replaced
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pxJE9rDZW80
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
8valve
1997 ZJ 

I went out this morning to try and figure the problem. Today was the first day in almost 2 weeks that was above freezing, 38 degrees.

I got in the CG, put the key in the ignition and it turned like normal. Did not do anything but insert the key and turn. Yesterday with temps in the Teens, it all locked up tighter that a drum.

As I first mentioned the last time I used the GC, it was slush and freezing rain. I am wondering if the key had water on it that got into the tumblers and froze.

I lubed her well with Graphite Key Cylinder lube and tried her tonight as its below freezing. Still works normal and easy.

Thats all I know, I am happy.

8Valve

Unread 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valve View Post
I went out this morning to try and figure the problem. Today was the first day in almost 2 weeks that was above freezing, 38 degrees.

I got in the CG, put the key in the ignition and it turned like normal. Did not do anything but insert the key and turn. Yesterday with temps in the Teens, it all locked up tighter that a drum.

As I first mentioned the last time I used the GC, it was slush and freezing rain. I am wondering if the key had water on it that got into the tumblers and froze.

I lubed her well with Graphite Key Cylinder lube and tried her tonight as its below freezing. Still works normal and easy.

Thats all I know, I am happy.

8Valve
I'm pretty confident the problem is in the steering. The gearbox could have water contamination internally or you could have iced up linkage.
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I'm pretty confident the problem is in the steering. The gearbox could have water contamination internally or you could have iced up linkage.
Yes, Iced up linkage is also possible due to the heavy slush that day. The same reason I never set the parking brake on any of my trucks in the winter.
I carry a 6x6 wood block cut as a tire wedge to use when parking int he winter on a grade.

8Valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.