Key fob replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key fob replacement

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
NapsterZJ
1995 ZJ 

Key fob replacement

Is there anyway I can replace the OEM fob for my 95 ZJ with an aftermarket fob, or do I have to get a full security system?

It's starting to get obnoxious using my key to unlock it and sometimes missing the key slot and scratching my door

Thanks

DD - Stock 99 WJ 4.7 QD with flo 40
NapsterZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

You could go to keylessride.com and you'll find a replacement FOB there. They also have'em on ebay, where you can also find an "original" one, from another Jeep of the same age (93-95 ZJ) - and they will work. Other years won't work.
I got the keylessride.com one because there weren't any originals for sale on ebay when I was buying, AND because I was told that those FOBs deteriorate over time because the infrared-emitting bulb-like-thingy gets scratched and what now, making the operating radius very small. Be that how it may, the replacement one works as the factory one - has to be pointed to the dome-thingy on the interior roof console. Radius is very small, but that's the IR system's flaw...
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
tcar
2000 WJ 

On Ebay... you can get good used replacement fobs. The less expensive ones have the paint on the buttons worn off, but if your buttons are good, it's an easy swap.

Also on Ebay, you can get aftermarket Fobs that work with the 93-95 GCs.

The instructions to set it are in your Owners Manual (and probably with the Fob).

Make sure you get a Fob that does NOT have a panic button... they won't work at all with a 93-95.

As Blue said keylessride.com also sells them on Ebay.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.