Key Diagnosis Code Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key Diagnosis Code Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
AWILD

Key Diagnosis Code Question

So I read this FAQ
"Just the trick ..
to save you some money and avoid the dealership if you can fix it yourself.

How to get the codes:
Cycle the ignition key On - Off - On - Off - On within 5 seconds.
Count the number of times the check engine lamp on the dash flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual two digit trouble codes.
Example: Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, and flashes 5 more times. This indicates a code number 55. A code 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This will indicate the end of all stored codes.
This method should work for Jeeps up to 1997 - I have yet to find a way of reading the codes on '98 TJ's or Cherokees/Grand Cherokees."

And got 33, 2, 55

How should I interpret that? Do all the sequences start with a 3, which would mean my code is a 32?

"An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid circuit. Possible air/fuel ratio imbalance not detected during diagnosis."

Unread 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

no, you've got codes 33, and 2, the only code of that nature is the 55, the 'end of transmission' code.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
AWILD

What's code 2?
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
AWILD

Correction - have redone my error codes. Ends up I am getting 12, 32, 55(end)

Code 12-Memory to controller has been cleared within 50-l00 engine starts.
Can someone interpret this for me?

Code 32-Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid circuit-open or short detected in the EGR solenoid circuit/EGR system failure-required change in fuel/air ratio not detected during diagnostic test.
Is this due to no cat? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

12 - Your battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.

32 - Your no cat, might have caused this, but I don't know.
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

First check to see that all the lines are connected to the erg valve. Then disconnect and re-connect the electrical connector; for starters. If the erg is not working then the air to fuel ratio will be rich, gas mileage will suck, and the engine could ping!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
AWILD

egr valve...where's that. I need to buy a Chiltons
Unread 11-29-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
grandman17

where do you find the codes to see what they mean i no how to get them but how can you find out what codes are what
grandman17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Here ya go http://www.jeepsrus.org/index.asp?p=...s_Grand_93to97

About the code 32... is this the code that is sometimes thrown if the gas-cap is not sealed all the way?

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandman17
where do you find the codes to see what they mean i no how to get them but how can you find out what codes are what
Here ya are

http://www.zjilla.com/tech_codes.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.