Kegger mod with EGR? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Kegger mod with EGR?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Kegger mod with EGR?

So I picked up a second intake manifold to work on and put my aluminum plenum plate on, so I can work on it at my leisure. I figured I would do the kegger mod while I have the chance. My question is about the routing of the egr. The manifold directs the gases into the middle through a "tube" molded into the center divider, obviously to distribute them evenly between all cylinders. Since the kegger mod requires the removal of the center divider, it would remove this "tube" the gases travel through as well, which would cause the gases to just enter through the side of the manifold. My question is will this cause any problems? Since the gases won't really be evenly distributed anymore? Just wanted to play it safe.

You can see the "tube" in this pic

[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

I wonder if it's possible to cut around the egr tube. I don't know if the tube uses the center wall for support or not though.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I haven't finished mine but I started cutting around the EGR tube. It's a pain. I'm subscribing to this so I know if I can just remove it...it would make things a lot easier.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i will be watching this too. too bad there wasnt a was to completely remove the egr system without popping a CEL
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

I'm in the same boat,I picked up a second kegger this morning to start modding so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
KJK
1998 ZJ 

While my kegger doesn't have the EGR tube, when I modded it I left the center divider intact. I think the removal vs. non-removal benefits are minimal. Mine still pulls like a scalded ape. Just my 2 cents...
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

I didn't even know about this mod... I'm interested in seeing where this is going.
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I read somewhere, maybe speedfreaks.net, about someone 'modding' the kegger and actually getting less torque at the dyno. I would just deshroud the injector bosses and smooth out the runners and call it done.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

Well it's done,hot tanked and a run through the bead blaster to get it clean,smoothed out all the runners and injector ports and gasket matched it to the fel-pro gaskets before a high heat paint job and Hughes plate kit.

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Nice. So you didn't shorten the runners or mess with the divider? Looking forward to your SOTP opinion.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

Nope,didn't change much other than cleaning up all the inside casting flaws and the port match,ill let you know how it goes once I get my cam and start the install.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.