K&N Intake issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > K&N Intake issues

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
RussellZJ98
1998 ZJ 

K&N Intake issues

I've been working on getting my jeep engine dialed in, and theres a few things that concern me that I'm trying to work out. First and foremost, my K&N intake. Ever since I put it on, I have noticed the sound is... interesting. It doesn't sound like air being sucked through a filter, there is almost a metal on metal grinding sound that comes from it. It gets louder as you accelerate. I have checked out multiple jeeps with variable intakes and they all seem to have the same "air being sucked through a filter" noise. Mine has a grind that I can't put my finger on, and does not sound like it should be there.

IAC, CPS, TPS all replaced within the last year. Engine has good oil in it. There does appear to be quite a bit of oil slung around the bottom of the jeep and has a noticeable amount of oil built up around the bell housing. Plan on getting all new seals eventually, but wheres the best place to start? Thinking the main seal will be first, but what would the list of things you would do to your engine to get it "up to speed," and the best order to fix these issues in.

In case it helps: K&N intake, Magnaflow cat, magnaflow muffler (Not as "jeepy" as the flow master super 40 was, i miss it)

RussellZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Fel-Pro gaskets are the best.

Rear main, oil pan, valve cover, oil filter adapter, and oil pressure sender/switch are very common leaky points. Could also do the CCV/PCV thingys.

I just tossed my K&N. Ill be replacing it with an Amsoil one that is dry and actually filters.

Full tune up isnt a bad idea either.

Posting a video of the sound would help. It could be engine trouble, not the filter. Maybe take it to a mechanic and have him listen.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
JapJohn
1995 ZJ 

I have the same sound, a slight grinding on acceleration then it settles when you let off the gas. My noise is comming from the pasenger side.

It could be damn near impossible to see but you my have a crack in your down pipe where it connects to the header.
JapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

a cracked exhaust manifold would be noticeable and stinky. If it gets quiet after the engine heats up, then thats probably what it is.
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
RussellZJ98
1998 ZJ 

I have a 4 day old header! No cracks. The problem is the same now as it was with 4 of 6 cracked down pipes. This backfire is driving me crazy. Vacuum lines are all correct. *scratching head*
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
gs69350

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Had a buddy with a wierd backfire.... after pulling head, found badly "burnt" exhaust valve.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Try this to see if you have a burnt valve. I don't think it's the K&N making the metal grinding sound as it has no moving parts. You can put the stock back on and see if it changes but I think thee is something else causing it. If it's a metal rattling sound then it may be the exhaust hitting someplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDMqhqQ-WM
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I'd put the stock intake on first and see if the sound went away.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Maybe your motor mounts are toast? that many cracks in a manifold is a lot. If the motor mount has no rubber it will crack the manifold and rattle around and will be worse on acceleration id think.
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
RussellZJ98
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I'm not concerned with the K&N itself, but the added airflow it does have let's me know something is wrong. Tried the napkin test. The engine would sound fine and have a constant flow out the exhaust, but would start popping and sputtering and would suck the napkin up. So it appears to have the signs, but the problem is intermittent.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.