k&n filters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > k&n filters?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-06-2001, 08:40 PM   #1
Kess

k&n filters?

would i see improvement if i put a k&n filter in my 1994 grand, with the 4L??

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2001, 04:11 AM   #2
RE94ZJ

Performance gains would be marginal at best with the addition of the K&N alone. Don't expect more than 2-3 RWHP (if that) at the most. However, it is a worthwhile upgrade IMHO. I prefer the drop-in (unitl K&N comes out w/FIPK for the ZJ 4.0). You may also want to try the Turbo City or Rusty's Off- Road intake setup. I used some of the ideas at web page to modify my stock airbox.
1994 ZJ 4.0, RE 3.5 lift, 32x11.5 BFG MT's on TJ Canyons, Bilsteins w/front JKS conversion, Borla header, Car-Sound cat w/Turbo City exhaust, Powertrax No-slip (rear), K&N drop in w/modified factory airbox.
RE94ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
Fierce ZJ

True the gains might not be that much but they are gains. There are a few tubes that can be fitted onto the K&N cone such as Rusty's or Turbo City. They claim at least 5hp gain. Either way it sounds a whole lot nicer than the stock intake.
Fierce ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
BackRoad4X4
1994 ZJ 

More Air = More Power
The K&N air filters are some of the best you can get from your local parts store. The K&N filter uses cotton instead of paper to filter the air. The cotton filter will let more air pass through faster. The best thing is when the filter gets dirty, you can just take it out and clean it.
k-n.jpg  

Last edited by BackRoad4X4; 10-26-2013 at 01:51 AM..
BackRoad4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

While more air does = more power. More air also = more dust getting into your engine. which is... the reason you have an air filter in the first place :P
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
lucky04
1997 ZJ 

When you clean the zj's k&n do you reoil to...all K&n's require oil right?
lucky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
johnt671
1998 ZJ 

Yes, they need to be oiled after cleaning. K & N sells a kit with the stuff to clean and oil them.
johnt671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

More air in the engine = more exhaust gasses that needs somewhere to go away fast, and the stock exhaust is not really great at that.
I would think that if you upgrade your exhaustsytmen to something that is less restrictive than stock, you gain more hp than you do from a K&N airfilter.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

I opted to NOT use the K&N or similar Because of this detailed and elaborate experiment done on professional equipment.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

the bottom line is ; what kind of driving are you doing, what intake & exhaust upgrades have you done, the age of the vehicle, etc.

it is easy to presume a benefit, thats why this exercise they provided is so valuable, it is just plain science fact, no opinions.

dont be mislead by the hype of how much more power you supposedly gain,
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoad4X4 View Post
More Air = More Power
The K&N air filters are some of the best you can get from your local parts store. The K&N filter uses cotton instead of paper to filter the air. The cotton filter will let more air pass through faster and collects more particles in the air. The best thing is when the filter gets dirty, you can just take it out and clean it.
Congratulations on resurrecting the oldest thread I've ever seen....12 years old! Lmao
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDifferent
I opted to NOT use the K&N or similar Because of this detailed and elaborate experiment done on professional equipment.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

the bottom line is ; what kind of driving are you doing, what intake & exhaust upgrades have you done, the age of the vehicle, etc.

it is easy to presume a benefit, thats why this exercise they provided is so valuable, it is just plain science fact, no opinions.

dont be mislead by the hype of how much more power you supposedly gain,
This x2. In trail dust and mud, I think that 5hp gain isn't worth it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.