K&N alternative oil options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > K&N alternative oil options?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

K&N alternative oil options?

Does anybody know if there is an alternative to using the K&N recharge kit oil? Will using WD40 or similar lubrcants be ok or will that damage the filter?

TINTINUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Why waste your Money

http://www.amsoil.com/a/catalog.aspx amsoil is better than k&N no Oils traps better and is cheaper
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Why waste your Money

http://www.amsoil.com/a/catalog.aspx amsoil is better than k&N no Oils traps better and is cheaper
Is this for K&N motor oil or K&N Air Filter cleaning kit oil?

I need to know if it is ok using any other oil other than the K&N oil on the Air Filter?
Unread 03-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINTINUAE View Post
Is this for K&N motor oil or K&N Air Filter cleaning kit oil?

I need to know if it is ok using any other oil other than the K&N oil on the Air Filter?
Josh might have just posted up the link to the wrong amsoil page. The infinitely better option is to ditch the K&N and get the amsoil dry filter. Still washable, but needs no oil, and has better flow numbers, as well as MUCH better filtration. The K&N filter media lets through a ton of dirt... just pull your intake and look at how dirty your throttle body is. Pull that off, clean it, put on the amsoil dry filter, and your Jeep will love you for it.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Josh might have just posted up the link to the wrong amsoil page. The infinitely better option is to ditch the K&N and get the amsoil dry filter. Still washable, but needs no oil, and has better flow numbers, as well as MUCH better filtration. The K&N filter media lets through a ton of dirt... just pull your intake and look at how dirty your throttle body is. Pull that off, clean it, put on the amsoil dry filter, and your Jeep will love you for it.
I may do that in the future but still, nobody has answered the question. Is it possible or not? I am asking for a friend you see.
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no. end of thread.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
Bannonjr
1993 ZJ 

I have used AEM CAI Intake/Filter cleaner, then re-oiled in the past...takes a long time to dry though...like, all day in the sun lol...

Don't really recommend it though...but it did work...you can pick up some KN cleaner pretty much anywhere these days...(in my area anyway) but ya, those guys are right about the Amsoil filter...much better!

Red Jeep Club #151
Canadian Jeeps Club Member #25
Bannonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Klotz makes filter oil

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

Amsoil ends another K&N filter thread.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
sandman
1993 ZJ 

you should just dip it in motor oil. joking. K&N oil only.
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

BTW: The TB being dirty is not an indicator of the filtration system performance that's physically positioned before the TB.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
JerseyWJ
2012 WK 

This link says use only K&N but idk for sure...

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...0/article.html
Unread 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Calm down rat monkey mate

Cheers guys, I'll tell him not to do anything else but K&N oil then.

Will be looking for the Amsoil dealer in the UAE now then
Unread 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
BTW: The TB being dirty is not an indicator of the filtration system performance that's physically positioned before the TB.
Hmm, airflows through the filter into the throttle body (and only through the filter into the throttle body). Filter's job is to remove dirt. Dirt appears in the TB but that is not an indicator that the filter is not working?
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINTINUAE View Post
Does anybody know if there is an alternative to using the K&N recharge kit oil? Will using WD40 or similar lubrcants be ok or will that damage the filter?
buy an amsoil ea filter and quit wasting $50 on an inferior product.
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.