just want to RAVE!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > just want to RAVE!!!!

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

just want to RAVE!!!!

5 months ago bought a 98 zj sight unseen. Ad said not running mechanic says needs new battery, and alt. Trans slips. Mechanic says needs new fluid and filter. Needs new driver seat. Has nearly new walmart wrangler at's. So we bought it $1300. Loaded it up on tow truck and brought it home. 163K. Np249 5.2L. Replaced bat and alt. Started right up!!!! Sounded good too. No knocks, ticks, abnormal noises. Score! Drove to parts store. Trans slipped all gears slightly and 4-5 horrible. Got some +4 and gasket/filter, and lucas. Went home and did the service. Test drove and what do ya know! She shifts great!!!! Then started noticing the VC was junk boo. Came across a 242 for $50. Installed it and did the vic red plug connection. All is great. Then started having a wierd hard start stummble condition. And #3miss. So i did plugs. The hard start stumble is no longer present! Score!!! 5 months 15k later im a happyhappy happy zj owner. When it rains i like to use the full time. Prevent wheel spin at stop lights and go getter acceloration due to traffic. Works great cant tell youre in full time under normal conditions. So last night in traffic i needed to punch it to prevent having to wait any longer for an opening. Dead stop 45 left turn punched it and what do ya know ........i got a front tire to break loose on wet pavement.wow!!! I love this thing. Bone stock. Took her on a trail ride with a dozon other lifted jeeps and only had to go around two obsticals. Impressed!? We all were. Even the guys with 35's!!!!! Lol. Ok i think im done. Lol......enjoy.

ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

You have to own one to see their capabilities. Are they thirsty? Yeah, but they can surprise people who think they're just another SUV, on road and off.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Always love to hear stories of ZJs being brought back from neglect! Thanks for sharing.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Yup!! I love it. I just adjusted the trans cable. So we'll what that does. Still has a phantom rad leak. No rhyme or reason. Lol. Just leaks slightly from time to time. Never fully drains resivore and has never lowered coolant level in rad. Ive tried bars stop leak. Its not water pump weep hole.i checked. Its motor side of rad dead center. But i love it. Got another BACH CRAWLERS trail ride comming up at the end of August. Cant wait.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Most likely the seepage is coming from the timing chain cover. There's two passages from the block to the water pump and the steel inserts in the gaskets like to rust away causing a seepage or outright leak depending on the severity of the damage and how long its left to leak?.

If this is the case ya might as well change out the stretched timing chain and the sprockets since they will be exposed to make the repair. Replace the front oil seal and check your harmonic balancer out for rotted rubber along with excessive oil seal grooving.
Replace the water pump while your at it if it hasn't been recently, thermostat, and any idler and tensioner pulleys that might have rough bearings.

Did this a year and half ago and when i went for a test ride i couldn't believe the power the engine had from replacing the cam chain, it was planting my butt to the back of the seat every time i touched the throttle!!!!!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, but the leakage is deffinatly from the rad. It collects on the lower rad support then will leak out right or left side depending how im parked. I drove cross country like that and its been like that for 5 months. But the whole front block rebuild will be saved for with the rad savings and done when i do the rad.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.