Just a question on my 1995 Grand Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just a question on my 1995 Grand Cherokee?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
ombus
1995 ZJ 

Just a question on my 1995 Grand Cherokee?

My 1995 Grand Cherokee is acting up this week. After about 30 miles of driving it. The truck starts to slow down on its own. I push the gas and it just bogs down. After shutting the truck off for a few hours its fine for another few miles and happens again. Any help would be great. The engine sounds fine. It just feels like someone is pushing the brakes.

ombus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Earlk
1994 ZJ 

Check fuel filter. I had that problem on a Fxxxxxxxxxxd pickup I once owned.
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Without many details , I'd say a bad cat
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like it's getting choked out like said above.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
ombus
1995 ZJ 

Thank you I will put on a new cat converter , fuel filter, and see how it does. Im in california is there a special one for the emissions here? Any numbers or words im looking for on it?
ombus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Cali cats are not cheap . Try the fuel filter first and see how that goes . If you need a cat , contact Kolak for the best deal
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Oxygen sensor maybe? Check that too. Don't go tossing parts at it these are just ideas to check first not to replace. Yo know how long it's been since the O2 sensor has been replaced right? Is the Cat original? How may miles on these parts?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
ombus
1995 ZJ 

The cat is original and so is the O2 sensor. The mileage is 194,000 The muffler is new. I unbolted the muffler today and the cat is completely empty. Its hollow inside. I bought this jeep 1 month ago. It passed all California smog. I dont drive it everyday just when its bad weather.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Wow . I can't believe it passed with a hollowed cat . I'd definately toss a new fuel filter on it and then run a pressure test to see how healthy the pump is if the filter doent do the trick .

Btw , mods get anal about removal or modifying emmisions equipment due to federal laws . Legally you should replace it however you now have a good arguement since it passed the strictest emmisions testing in the US . What do the feds know right ?
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
ombus
1995 ZJ 

The truck was sitting for about 9 months as well. So the empty cat wont affect anything with the sensors? Does it need a new O2 sensors ?Theres no check engine lights everything runs fine. Prolly gas is no good and fuel filter needs changed. I thank you for all your help.
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

question 1 , no , question 2 , no . It certainly sounds more like a restricted fuel delivery issue . Post back on how a new filter works for you
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I would start with unplugging the o2 sensor and taking it for a long drive.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
ombus
1995 ZJ 

I unpluged the O2 sensor. Check engine light has come on. Still does the same thing at about 30 miles. The engine runs great. At about 55mph the truck seems to just start slowing down. I push the gas pedal all the way down and the truck just slows down. I turn it off the air lowers the truck down and its fine for another few miles. I changed the fuel filter also.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
ombus
1995 ZJ 

The idle guage will be at 6000rpms and the truck will go really slow. Untill I shut it off for a few then its fine again. For about another 30miles.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

when was the last time it had a tune up?
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.