just order headers, muffler question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > just order headers, muffler question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
hellrazor

just order headers, muffler question

i just ordered my headers from autopn.com. the banks/borla copies. it should be here like wed. of next week. my headers now have a seperated crack on the #6 longtube.

now, i have a I6. i have magnaflow on it now with a carsound cat. and the dinky little stock tailpipe. here is my idea..........no haters please, only thoughts. i want to swap a flowmaster 40 for my magnaflow(it just doesnt sound good to me) and then rip out the tailpipe and just put a turn down right after the FM40. my friend has this setup on his dakota and i like it. i have heard FM40's on lots of smaller engines and they always sound good imho.

has anyone here heard a FM40 on a I6.

hellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
Derek33
1997 ZJ 

the turndown setup is fine, but it can cause alot of interior resonance.

40's on an i6 remind me of a civic, but everyone has their own preference/opinion
Derek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
violatedppl

go with the 70 suv you will be very happy, very low deep sound. also just and FYI glasspacks backs our 4.0 sound like a ricer, my buddy was cheap and put one on and it sounds like crap

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028[/url]
violatedppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Varkyl
No where near stock

I have a 40 on my 4.0L along with 2 1/2" pipe. I like the sound at idle and cruising down the road. But on accel it does sound a little ricey, but it is liveable.
I would have gone with a 70 but with the long arms I didn't have room for anything larger than a 40.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
hellrazor

thats what i wanted to know. do you think it wouldnt sound ricey with a turn down after the FM40? maybe that would help it sound more BEEFY.
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor
thats what i wanted to know. do you think it wouldnt sound ricey with a turn down after the FM40? maybe that would help it sound more BEEFY.
The low grumble sound comes from the sound waves being allowed to echo in the tailpipe. If you end the exhaust right after the muffler you will get that popping farting rice sound.

Also... you'll get fumes in the cabin when at a light and I've heard the exhause fumes can be quite acidic.. so its best that you exit the exhaust where its supposed to... at the rear.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
hellrazor

i guess the only reason i want get rid of the tailpipe is the one for the I6's is just butt ugly. does anyone make a tailpipe only that you can order?
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Varkyl
No where near stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor
i guess the only reason i want get rid of the tailpipe is the one for the I6's is just butt ugly. does anyone make a tailpipe only that you can order?
Take it to your local exhaust shop they should be able to bend one up for you. That is what I had done when the lift was done. The 2 1/2" pipe makes a big difference. And as Dean has said if you get rid of the pipe it will not sound good at all, on the I-6 engine.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Buy the Flowmaster super 40, it sounds better when you end with a downturn. The wrecked ZJ I got a month ago didn't have an exhuast . I put on a dynomax cat and a super 40 with a downturn right before the rear axle and it sounds nice (sounds better with no cat).

You should of seen how pissed the guy at the emissions testing facility was when I told him the exhuast tip was under the car.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.