Just got replacement PCM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got replacement PCM

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
reynoldsjp
1998 ZJ 

Just got replacement PCM

I bought a used PCM for my 98 Grand 4.0 on Ebay. I got it today. Anything special putting it in ? Just make sure battery cables are undone and put it in then hook battery up ? It has exactly the same number as my old and security built in as well. Any help asap is greatly appreciated. I am excited to see if I can get this moving after sitting for almost a month due to lack of funds.

reynoldsjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsjp View Post
I bought a used PCM for my 98 Grand 4.0 on Ebay. I got it today. Anything special putting it in ? Just make sure battery cables are undone and put it in then hook battery up ? It has exactly the same number as my old and security built in as well. Any help asap is greatly appreciated. I am excited to see if I can get this moving after sitting for almost a month due to lack of funds.
Did you get the VIN and mileage programmed into it? My understanding is that beginning with the 98 model year, the VIN has to be programmed into the PCM for it to work (since the mileage is stored in the '98s PCM, I suppose there's some sort of Federal law that requires a sanity check on the VIN).
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
dakimbrough
1998 ZJ 

Great PCM Change

Just remember to add your mileage to the PCM before installing.
dakimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
reynoldsjp
1998 ZJ 

How do I get that done is it expensive ? Can I run it without getting that done and not have any problems other than mileage display ?
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

talk to Coralman, he has a 98. IIRC it will work with no programming. put it in to see if it works.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
reynoldsjp
1998 ZJ 

Ok. So I put it in hooked battery back up. My jeep started right up ! Actually the best start it has ever had. No hesitation or cranking before starting just started right up. Mileage was correct and security works. Thanks to all for quick responses and help. I am going to drive it for a few days and see if my stalling issues have gone away. Until the next item breaks I bid you farewell.
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Ok. So I put it in hooked battery back up. My jeep started right up ! Actually the best start it has ever had. No hesitation or cranking before starting just started right up. Mileage was correct and security works. Thanks to all for quick responses and help. I am going to drive it for a few days and see if my stalling issues have gone away. Until the next item breaks I bid you farewell.
Good for you! Looks like I was wrong ...
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Goes to show how much bad info gets passed around.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Goes to show how much bad info gets passed around.
If you note, my guidance on programming was softened (because I just didn't have any personal experience with it) ... but, I had felt it was fairly reliable since it was once posted by ratmonkey.
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I referenced the info about 98's before, because I had heard that it needed the vin programmed. But, on the last cardone I got under warranty it was not vin programmed if I remember correctly. I have a backup that was rebuilt by another company and even though they asked for the vin I have no idea if it was actually entered. It would be interesting to see if the OP's vin is original or not using a drb.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
reynoldsjp
1998 ZJ 

Well I have been driving it all day and no issues so far. I hope this is truly the end of the stall issue. Is there a place that buys old ones for remanufacturing ? I took it buy the wash and got it all cleaned up. So at least for now I'm back on the road.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Is there a place that buys old ones for remanufacturing ?
i dont know of one. rat hole it, maybe you can use it for a core sometime... or take it apart and try to fix it.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

What I've come to learn about the 96-98 PCMs for the 4.0 is that quite often, there is something else wrong in the system that fries them. Not always....but often. For instance, myself having a background in electronics, I know that the making and breaking of poor power connections ( usually grounds) will wreak havoc on integrated circuits and certain discreet components.

Yes, I believe that some of the PCMs were just plain crap to begin with...but others have been fried... and much too easily, if you ask me.

Keep the old one....if might get you home one night if it works at all...

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

OP, Oldfrog makes a good point. It would be a good idea to disconnect the battery and clean the grounds on side of the block
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
dakimbrough
1998 ZJ 

jeepgrandcherokeepcm.com......Great website for PCM .
dakimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.