Just got my new Exhaust in the mail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got my new Exhaust in the mail

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Just got my new Exhaust in the mail

Just got my new Exhaust in the mail. After I hook her up I will post a vid. With part lists and prices.

sam_1880.jpg  
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Where's the new manifold/header??? dont stop there...lol
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Lol I wish. I have a wife Im on a strict budget. Hopfully I will be welding it all together tomorrow. I had to Replace freeze plugs, water pump, serpentine belt, fan clutch and radiator in my wives 4.7 today. What a pita that was. I hate 4.7s so bad. Gave me a reason to wirebrush and paint the sides of the block to attempt to stop the rust. Bright red/orange Now I wont be able to miss it if anything leaks. That and I painted the Exhaust manifold orange and undercoated the wheel wells.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Got done sounds nice no leaks. Little loud but sounds like a muscle car. I will post a vid a little later. Had a hell of a time fitting the new y pipe after taking out the crimps/folds. removed oil filter and used a pry bar. Didn't realize it but my old y pipe had bent suffocating one side. Couldn't even fit my finger through the bend. Much better now plenty more power. Not sure if its the 2.5 exhaust. The high flow cat flowmaster muffler or just getting rid of the horrible crimped stock exhaust system. I welded the cat muffler and pipe all together to make a nice easy install. Only requiring 2 clamps.
sam_1891.jpg   sam_1890.jpg   sam_1892.jpg   sam_1893.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Nice.

Just one thing bothers me and thats the clamps, you never install them with the leftover threads pointing down.
Because something can get caught in them and ripp the exhaust of the jeep or other vehicle.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Im trimming them when im done or just welding it all together. Have not decided yet. just did it because it was getting late and it was easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DfL7...ature=youtu.be
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I believe im going to get the same setup on my 5.9. Maybe go 3". I like the borla setup but looks pricey.
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Flowmaster 44 $74.38, high flow cat $44.99, y pipe $91.46, Tailpipe $37.43, 2.5 od to 2.5 id pipe $10.00. Having a Jeep that sounds like a muscle car priceless.
$258.26 Mostly from ebay with free shipping. The pipe I got from napa. Because its the only place anywhere around me.
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Left_Clicker
1996 ZJ 

Wow this looks great! Im looking to do this to my jeep, Thank you for the price list and everything! Did you weld this all yourself together? I have never welded before in my life, do you think some one could weld it all together for me and I put it in by myself? thanks, sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, this is the best thread I found about this using search.
Left_Clicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Clicker View Post
Wow this looks great! Im looking to do this to my jeep, Thank you for the price list and everything! Did you weld this all yourself together? I have never welded before in my life, do you think some one could weld it all together for me and I put it in by myself? thanks, sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, this is the best thread I found about this using search.
Any exhaust shop can weld it together for you but I suggest finding a local welder with decent skill doing it. Some muffler shops will just hack it together crap welds.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
looks like you need a new trailer hitch!
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

ya it came off my first jgc. I welded it all myself but ive been welding since i was a kid. you might be able to but i would get some practice first.
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Left_Clicker
1996 ZJ 

alright so I did some research, and I decided to go with a walker exhaust system that I'm piecing together myself since no one seems to sell the whole thing in a whole package.. from the rock auto website as a starting point for my research I took part numbers and priced out different sites and took into account coupons and shipping cost and found this as my full exhaust system. For some reason the rockauto website lists all these parts as walker brand but I'm going to be getting them from advance (better coupons, free shipping) and the same part numbers turn to be dynomax on advance website?? weird. All the inlets and outlets match up so I dont believe I will be needing any converter pieces (pipe widths go from 2.5-2.25-2.75)

1. walker front pipe (544480) @ 51.86,
2. walker catalytic converter ultra direct fit (15820) @ 91.12,
3. dynomax ultra flo welded universal muffler (17512)@ 96.25,
4. dynomax tail pipe (45604)@ 50.73.
5. total 290, shipped, using the same coupon twice on 2 orders.

I do have some questions though, first if all the inlets and outlets match up... how to I get them to overlap so I can weld them together? and will I need to do any welding from the header that's in there to the new front pipe? Does the welding need to occur while all the pieces are together under the car or would one be able to well it all together and then put it in the car as one piece? any problems anyone sees with these pieces?

Thanks guys! shop quoted me 300 to replace just the cat and the muffler! ha.
Left_Clicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

ebay would save you alot of money. also check summit racing. my exhaust was all 2.5 inner diameter and outer diameter. i welded the 2.5 to 2.5 without overlapping. gaps are bad for clean air tight welds. you can weld and put together the muffler and convert then put it in and connect tailpipe y pipe. personaly i would get a better converter. what you want is the same size pipe just od id they fit inside each other without a gap. clamp or weld not to tight if you decide to clamp.
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

clamping is the usual just isnt as strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.