Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Just got my JKS Sliders

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  morpheus122 
#1 ·
I got a pair for a steal. 50 bucks plus shipping (which was more that the sliders). The only problems i see is that it looks like the last owner trimmed the end off of each of them i guess to clear the tires. Because of this they dont exttend the whole length of the car. Also this leaves the tubes open which i would think would get dirt and water in them and rust them out. I was thinking of welding square tubing to the ends to make them longer and close them up. Anyone think this will work??? Speaking of rust, the tubes that mount to the frame are also rusted to the sliders. . Should i heat them up and see if i can get them to seperate or just mount them together how they are??? After that i was going to glass bead blast them and paint them black to go with my black mirrors and tow hooks. Any suggestions would be great. I'm a little unsure if all this is necceisary or not so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics:

See less See more
#6 ·
They CAN bolt to the pinch seam. I used a right angle drill and the biggest self-tapping screws I could find and put about 10 on each side. Drill from underneath through the pinch weld into the slider. Jack one end of the slider up and sink a screw of two. Then jack the other end up and sink a couple more. That'll make the slider fit tight to the pinch weld. Now the slider is truly part of the Jeep. This job is an armbuster.

This is after using the slider as a step and having it come 'loose'.

#7 ·
#10 ·
five.nein said:
Try jumping up and down on the slider after following those instructions.
Mine have been jumped up and down on, smashed into rocks, hi-lifted and pivited around trees/rocks, 0 problems - they ****ing own.

#11 ·
morpheus122 said:
I got a WJ. I read the instructions but the part about attaching them to the pinch weld was a little unlcear.
I know YOU have a WJ, but are those supernerfs for a WJ or a ZJ ?

Cus mine look a little different, I have two holes in the mounting arms that are welded, where as those only have 1 bolt through the arm.

#12 ·
yes you have to slot the pinch weld to accomadate the 2 arms

then mine has 3 screws thru the pinch weld into the sliders this is so you can use it as a step without putting undo stress on the attachment to the unibody (this also pulls the sliders uptight to the bottom of the kick panel) the "foot" on my JK's is welded to the unibody and no screws were used

#13 ·
They should be for a WJ but the seller said they would work for both. the seller said:

sliders for cheap
i have a pair of sliders, good shape.

set up for a WJ, but could eaily be put on a ZJ.

recently shotblasted and primered, you can paint what ever color you want.

Should i still try to take the mounting legs apart from the sliders for mounting or just mount them as one asembly??? One has a rusted bolt and the other is rusted together. I plan on having them welded on, and bolted to the pinch seam

#14 ·
If the arms do not extend to the unibody frame then you will need to separate the legs. Break the bolts or whatever you have to do and slide them loose. When you have them welded on just plug weld the arms.

#16 ·
DON'T weld them to your unibody, the only welding, are the plug welds for the arms if you read the JKS directions. They should just be bolted to the unibody, if you weld to the unibody and you need to take them off for what ever reason you will want to kill yourself.

#17 ·
In that case the self tappers are on Mcmaster-carr.com .

#18 ·
Yea i guess your right. I'll just weld the ends shut and use all bolts incase i want to take them off or even sell them. It just doesn't seem like those bolts would hold up the car but i guess it will. I'll post the results as soon as i get them on.

#19 ·
morpheus122 said:
Yea i guess your right. I'll just weld the ends shut and use all bolts incase i want to take them off or even sell them. It just doesn't seem like those bolts would hold up the car but i guess it will. I'll post the results as soon as i get them on.
they will hold it up just fine, all of Kevins sliderz are all just bolt-on...ive tested mine and it holds wonderfully with a hi-lift under it and with me standing on top of it (170 llbs)

...oh and its not a car its a Jeep

#20 ·
morpheus122 said:
They wont, but the mounting arms give a little, and the slider will press into your rocker, and then it will support the weight of your heep without causing any damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.